VMware Cloud Community
DreamlessMojo
Contributor
Contributor

After hard reset on ESXi hosts

It has been over 6 hours and I cannot connect to my ESXi hosts or VSCA via gui on can connect to ESXi via SSH. Is this normal?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

No, that's not normal.  At least ESXi should be available as soon as the host has booted.

Do you have access to the host's console, to see whether it hangs?

André

0 Kudos
DreamlessMojo
Contributor
Contributor

I physically powered them off and powered them  back on. I was able to login to the ILOS finally and see that the storage has no connected yet. Some of my coworkers said that can be typical with storage depending on size. I have two SANs that support my ESXi hosts.

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

whats the status now?

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

silly question, but did your san hard reset too? of so has it returned? also how many paths do your hosts have?

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Verify that there is SAN connectivity and that SAN has been properly added or removed, by running this command:

ls /vmfs/volumes

or

vdf -h

If the commands take a very long time to complete or report an error, see Identifying shared storage issues with ESX or ESXi (1003659).

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful

0 Kudos
DreamlessMojo
Contributor
Contributor

No I did not hard reset the two SANs. There are several 10G connections between the ESX and sans.

0 Kudos
DreamlessMojo
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to verify that there are volumes. I can recognize some of my datastores.

I feel like I am almost out of options, should I do a reboot through the ILO or command line(I dont have ESXi shell access by default to the ESX host just shell access) for each ESXi host?

0 Kudos