VMware Cloud Community
jamescoburnnmdo
Contributor
Contributor

Advanced Cross vMotion error

Hello everyone.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction without contacting support.

We are working on two environments.  We are migrating from one environment to the second and trying to use Advanced Cross vMotion functionality.

Environment 1:
vCenter 6.7 U3a (build 14792544) (VCSA)
4x ESXi 6.0 U3a/Patch 6 (build 6921384)
Shared storage via fiber channel datastores

Environment 2:
vCenter 7 U1c (build 17327586)
4x ESXi 7 U1d (build 17551050)
vSAN storage

I've looked at this document -> Import a Virtual Machine with Advanced Cross vCenter vMotion (vmware.com)

Using 'admin' accounts, Advanced Cross vMotion through the GUI works fine.  However, when we attempt to use ACvM using non-admin accounts, we get to the "Select Networks" page of the GUI wizard and the following error appears:
https://sourcevCenterFQDN:443/sdk invocation failed with "com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.exception.MarshallException: DistributedVirtualSwitchPortConnection required property switchUuid not set"

The only significant Google search for me found a similar error but appears to be related to vCenter 5.1 on windows.

Does anyone know exact which permissions are minimum for using Advanced Cross vMotion?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wasabiChris
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into the same issue when trying to migrate my machines for non-admin users. I was able to resolve it by adding all dvPort group privileges to their role which was attached to the dvSwtich, confirming they were able to migrate without this error, then taking all of the privileges away(they normally do not have these privileges). The issue is not occurring anymore and they are now able to migrate machines without seeing this error.

0 Kudos