VMware Cloud Community
baszek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Admission failure in path: nicmgmtd/nicmgmtd | KB74527

I have logs flooded with "Admission failure in path: nicmgmtd/nicmgmtd" 
There is KB about it https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/74527 

Does anyone know what is impact of this error ? Do I have to fix it ASAP ? 
Right now I can't see any Symptoms except flooding vmkernellog.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vXav
Expert
Expert

How is your host looking memory wise?

You might want to take that to GSS to know if there are symptoms associated but they'll ask you to update your hosts.

0 Kudos
vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you run the following, pastebin the output and link it here?

memstats -r group-stats -g0 -l7 -s gid:name:parGid:nChild:min:max:conResv:availResv:memSize:rMinPeak:consumed:consumedPeak -u mb 2> /dev/null | sed -n '/^-\+/,/.*\n/p'

memstats -r vm-stats -s name:b:memSize:max:consumed:ballooned:balloonTgt:swapTgt:swapped:active:touched:zipped:zipSaved:shared:zero:sharedSaved -u mb 2> /dev/null | sed -n '/  \+name/,/ \+Total/p'

memstats -r comp-stats -s total:minFree:free:numHigh:numClear:numSoft:numHard:numLow:memState -u mb 2> /dev/null | sed -n '/^-\+/,/.*/p'

0 Kudos
baszek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Memtest output attached.

0 Kudos
vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Jup, you are hitting that KB, there is no critical contention anywhere else, just that world hitting its max. The world is mostly used by HP applications for NIC info and besides that, the most critical impact is the log flooding. The workaround in the script is easy enough to implement and the patch that fixed it long released, what exactly is the concern here?

P.S.
Please use services like e.g. pastebin to host text only content instead of attaching files whenever possible (not multi MB files, etc.)

baszek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

well I was reading that people are having strange problems with ESXi which is affected by this KB and I was just wondering how fast I should patch ESXi. As you said for me right now the biggest issue is log flooding. 

0 Kudos