VMware Cloud Community
jordendrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Adding an additional NIC in vsphere client

I am trying to add an additional physical NIC. Everything tells me that it's being detected. I'm able to see it when listing detected devices, but when I try to add it, it's not showing up.

30 Replies
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you trying to add physical nic to virtual switch ? Can you share screenshot of error message ?

0 Kudos
jordendrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes. I created a new Vswitch so it can connect to a second network that we have. When I goto the add adapter wizard, all I see is vmnic0. I should be also seeing vmnic1. There is not error per-say.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Are you using the Embedded Host Client (i.e. the Web Client)?

In case you are using an older version, please consider updating it (e.g. from ESXi Embedded Host Client). There have been a couple of issues which are solved with this version.

André

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you ssh to esxi and run command ?

esxcli network vswitch standard uplink add --uplink-name=vmnic1 --vswitch-name=vSwitch1

Assuming your switch name as vSwitch1, if not please modify correct vmnic name and switch name.

0 Kudos
jordendrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got the response, Not a valid pnic: vmnic1

0 Kudos
jordendrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also just to verify the nic is being detected....

[xxx@xxxx:~] lspci | grep -i net

0000:07:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection [vmnic0]

0000:08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection [vmnic1]

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Was there any change in host hardware recently ? Like new PCI card addition..

0 Kudos
jordendrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No. I just never used the nic before. Just plugged in a network cable and went to add the vswitch and realized the nic was not showing up.

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please share screenshot of MAC addresses from your hardware as well as from esxi.

0 Kudos
jordendrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

[xxx@xxxx-2:~] grep "/net/pnic" /etc/vmware/esx.conf

/net/pnic/child[0000]/name = "vmnic0"

/net/pnic/child[0000]/virtualMac = "00:50:56:51:df:e0"

/net/pnic/child[0000]/mac = "00:8c:fa:f1:df:e0"

/net/pnic/child[0001]/name = "vmnic1"

/net/pnic/child[0001]/virtualMac = "00:50:56:51:df:e1"

/net/pnic/child[0001]/mac = "00:8c:fa:f1:df:e1"

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please share Mac details for all your NICs, and hardware  MAC as well.

0 Kudos
Stan01
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure vmnic1 is not already associated with a Standard switch. Try the command below:

esxcli network vswitch standard list

0 Kudos
jordendrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please share Mac details for all your NICs, and hardware  MAC as well.

Not sure exactly what else is needed from what I posted. Got a command I can run?

0 Kudos
jordendrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmnic1 is not associated with any other switch.

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

from Esxi console view under networking -> Physical adapters, please share screenshot of it.

From hardware console you can see all the available nic cards and associated mac address. ( not sure about your vendor)

0 Kudos
jordendrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here are two screenshots.

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Your both screenshots are from ESXi. Your esxi itself not seeing vmnic1.  That's why you are not able to add vmnic1. either it is not plugged properly, or having some compatibility issue. what is your hardware ?

0 Kudos
jordendrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The nic is an onboard nic in a Lenovo server. I used the Lenovo ESXi image when installing the the server. It's weird that it would be detected in the command i ran earlier.

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

can you please provide screenshot of network interfaces from lenovo imm GUI?

0 Kudos