VMware Cloud Community
ultratronix
Contributor
Contributor

Adding a second datastore to VMware Essentials Plus license on a vSphere two hosts system

Hello,

I have a VMWare infrastructure with two vSphere hosts and one vCenter host with an Essentials Plus license (v. 7.x). I have only one datastore on an iSCSI volume in a Synology NAS. Everything works great, but vCenter warns me that I have only one datastore and it should be dangerous for the entire system (a single point of failure on the NAS).

So, I'm going to add a second datastore, but I wonder what happens when vCenter detects the second datastore: it automagically copies the VMs' files from the first datastore to the new one and it maintains sync'ed without any manual intervention or must I purchased some other components/update license to get the things all working?

Thank you all!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The informational message is just about HA, for which it is recommended to have at least two datastores for HA heartbeats.
Nothing will happen with your VMs, and no downtime is required, if you add a second datastore to the hosts.

André

0 Kudos
ultratronix
Contributor
Contributor

Hello André,

Yes, I know that. The question is: when I attach a second datastore (a second Synology NAS), is VMware software that maintains synchronized the two datastore, by copying bits from one storage to the other? Or is an another component that does the job? Or do I need a SAN rather than two NAS?

In other words, is a VMware component or a special license or a NAS functionality that does the job to sync the two datastores?

Thank you

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There is no sync job that's going to run.
vCenter just uses both datastores for HA heartbeats, if both ESXi host have access to them.

André

0 Kudos
Tinto1970
Commander
Commander

don't worry, nothing will be done automatically.

Please note that if you add a second Datastore from the same NAS it does not make sense: both datastores will be lost if the NAS stops working

--
Alessandro aka Tinto VCP-DCV 2023 | VVSPHT 2023 | VMCE 2024 | vExpert 2024 | Veeam Legend
please give me a "Kudo" if you find my answer useful
www.linkedin.com/in/tinivelli
my blog: https://blog.tinivelli.com
0 Kudos
ultratronix
Contributor
Contributor

Naturally, I don't want to add a second datastore on the same NAS, but a second datastore on a secondary NAS. The question is: how the two datastores synchronize the files?

I finally found that two NASs is an unseful and too complex solution. The simpler solution is to use a SAN where all the components are redundant.

Thank you all for this discussion!

0 Kudos
Tinto1970
Commander
Commander

the two datastores will not sync.

google "datastore heartbeat HA" and you will find the reason why you are suggested to have 2 datastores or more

--
Alessandro aka Tinto VCP-DCV 2023 | VVSPHT 2023 | VMCE 2024 | vExpert 2024 | Veeam Legend
please give me a "Kudo" if you find my answer useful
www.linkedin.com/in/tinivelli
my blog: https://blog.tinivelli.com
0 Kudos