VMware Cloud Community
nthatte
Contributor
Contributor

Add a new vSwitch to only one or two hosts in cluster

I have an ESXi 6.0 cluster with 7 hosts. Due to some decisions made around storage networks, I have to add two vSwitches to each of the hosts so they can have access to a new storage network that was brought into our environment. I am new to managing advanced vmware features as I am just now taking over for an administrator that recently resigned.

So I I plan on adding the vSwitches to the hosts starting today but wont get to all of them before the end of the day. I will most likely get to one or two of them before the day is over. I don't plan to attach any of the new storage LUNs to the hosts or anything. All I plan on doing is getting their networking portion configured. So I will update the config on two of the hosts and walk away for the weekend, come back on Monday and start working on the remainder of the hosts.

Now my question is, is it a bad idea to do this? Am I leaving the cluster in bad state over in the weekend? My understanding is that if the vswitches exist but nothing is using it, they are not going to come into play at all hence nothing will be affected. Does that make sense?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

That is not a problem, you can have any number of vSwitches and it is not mandatory to use them . vSwitches can be empty without VMs running on it or without vmnic. It is just an object created on host.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
nthatte
Contributor
Contributor

So I can have two hosts in the same cluster with two new vSwitches that the other hosts in the cluster do not have right? That wont in any way affect HA or DRS as long as the vSwitches are not in use.

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Yes, you can have new vSwitches without any issues. Also these are two new empty vSwitches, you will not have any issues.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
nthatte
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos