VMware Cloud Community
BahramMaleki77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Add ESXi 6.7 host with powered on VMs to Cluster

Hello,

I was wondering if I can add an ESXi host with running VMs to a cluster without any impact? When I try to add the host, it shows me that X number are running on the host.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to VMTN. 🙂

Normally, you should be able to add. If there are cluster settings which would require you to change something on ESXi or VMs, you will get error prompt with the information.

In any case, there should be no impact to currently running VMs. Go on and let us know what happens.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to VMTN. 🙂

Normally, you should be able to add. If there are cluster settings which would require you to change something on ESXi or VMs, you will get error prompt with the information.

In any case, there should be no impact to currently running VMs. Go on and let us know what happens.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
BahramMaleki77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tested it in my lab, When I add a host with running VM's to a cluster, first you have to turn off all guests or migrate to another host, because  the host goes to maintenance mode first.

Thanks

0 Kudos
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have heard about it before but yet to face it. What you can try next time is, add host in vCenter first and then drag and drop the host in cluster in vCenter. This should add the host in cluster without requiring VMs to power OFF first.

BahramMaleki77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

It worked by dragging the host to cluster.

Thanks

0 Kudos
bigjohn111
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great info guys.. If you have a hosed vcenter with no backups and you rebuilt.. I guess per what is on here that we would need to have a complete outage right?

0 Kudos