VMware Cloud Community
OleWeel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Active license

Hi,

We have a closed environment, and we have license documents from the OEM vendor.

If we add these licenses to vsphere and vcenter do we need access to internet to verify these codes ?

If so, is there some kind of offline activation process ?

Thanks for reply.

Regards Andreas
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Ok, so what you are saying is that the license files I have I can just add, and no more action is needed ?

If there are valid license keys, then - as mentioned by daphnissov​ -you can use them without Internet access.

However, some vendors provide Entitlement IDs rather than license keys, which need to be activated through an URL that should be mentioned in the documents. This activation results in an official license key, and you can do this on any system that has access to the Internet.

André

View solution in original post

4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, vCenter/ESXi do not "phone home" to activate/validate license keys.

0 Kudos
OleWeel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, so what you are saying is that the license files I have I can just add, and no more action is needed ?

Regards Andreas
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, provided those license files are applicable to the product to which you're attempting to apply them. The various products will decode the license keys internally and determine if they are accepted. But that acceptance is not based on communication with any other entity.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If there are valid license keys, then - as mentioned by daphnissov​ -you can use them without Internet access.

However, some vendors provide Entitlement IDs rather than license keys, which need to be activated through an URL that should be mentioned in the documents. This activation results in an official license key, and you can do this on any system that has access to the Internet.

André