VMware Cloud Community
TomThwaites
Contributor
Contributor

Active Active Datacenters with vSan and SRM?

Hi,

I'm going to do my best trying to explain what I’m working on.

Basically I have a requirement to delivery two Datacentres in an Active Active Configuration using vSan and SRM.

Where there are single servers running in Datacentre A, I need to have these protected by SRM to fail the servers across to Datacentre B, where they are servers in a HA configuration, server Y will be in Datacentre A and Server Z will be in Datacentre B - I hope this makes sense so far.....

What would be the best approach in terms of vCenters and Stretched Storage etc?

1 vCentre in each Datacentre in Enhanced Linked Mode, with Stretched Storage? If I don’t use Stretched Storage how can I ensure that the data for Server Y and Server Z will be replicated between the vSans at each vCenter?

There will be a stretched vLan across Datacentre’s using very fast links.....

Any advice would be really appreciated? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Tom,

You don't necessarily require SRM to achieve failover based on single-site failure - provided the RTT latency between sites is <5ms you could implement a vSAN Stretched Cluster across both sites (+ Witness running at another site/cloud).

A viable alternative would of course to have seperate vSAN clusters at each site and SRM used to recover from single-site failure though this wouldn't have an RPO 0f 0 like vSAN Stretched Cluster would.

Dome useful overview information:

https://blogs.vmware.com/virtualblocks/2017/02/09/vsan-srm-rpo-rto/

While Linked vCenters are an ideal solution for many scenarios, do consider other possible solutions that provide redundancy/availability such as vCenter HA which was introduced in 6.5 .

Bob

0 Kudos