VMware Cloud Community
Svimle78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Activated passthrough on all network adapters by a mistake

Probably not the first one to do it, but I am struggling undoing it.

I use ESXi 6.5 on a HP DL380G7, and of course, I am not able to access the client at the moment.

But, I have the iLo with console on the server, I am remotely at the moment. I thought I could change the configuration file (esx.conf), with the change on the vnic owner from "passthru" to "vmkernel", save it, and run the /sbin/backup.sh to keep the changes from being overwritten. The return of the script says that is has been written to the bootbank with time and everything.

When the server is restarted, the "old" config is back. I am surprised it didn't work.... any ideas?

Do I have to choose the "new" config from the bootbank when its booting?

Regards

Vidar

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Svimle78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved by fresh reinstall of ESXi hypervisor. Lost all network configuration, but saved the datastores and VM's

-Vidar

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
meoli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try disabling Intel VT-D or IOMMU in your BIOS if possible. Then Passtrough souldn't be possible and the configuration should revert.

0 Kudos
Svimle78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the advice, but it did not work. Disabled VT-D in bios, but same error in ESXi.

0 Kudos
Svimle78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is confusing. Have finished an attempt to reinstall esxi 6.5 (HP image). Still the same message after reboot, "No compatible network adapters found"...

How is this possible.

Is it possible that 4 nics have crashed at the same time?... and at a reboot. Seems unlikely.

Frustrated....

-V

0 Kudos
Svimle78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved by fresh reinstall of ESXi hypervisor. Lost all network configuration, but saved the datastores and VM's

-Vidar

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos