VMware Cloud Community
robertsouthard
Contributor
Contributor

Accessing Virtual Machine (linux) via web console or VMRC and then web console freezes. Cannot refresh. Reboot to restore.

Has anybody experienced this (screenshot attached).  It happens on both FF and IE, both connecting directly to ESXi host and V-Center.  It happened on 6.0 and now on 6.7 and also it happens on both VMRC and WebConsole.    I access my VM and do some work and everything is good and then my screen freezes.  I refresh my browser and all I get is the attached screenshot.  I can SSH in and everything is still running. I can't figure out if VMWare tools is stuck or the Gnome display freezes.   Only way to restore is reboot.

My ESX host is running on Cisco UCS C240M.  I have four VMs running.  Issue only hits one of the VMs at a time.   CPU/Processes/Memory are all being used minimally... nothing is spiking when it happens.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Since the VM is accessible all fine via SSH, it is not a problem with the VM in general. As only a VM reboot is required to restore the console connectivity, should not be a problem with the host. When the issue occurs, instead of refreshing the browser, can you close the console window and open a new one? Does this work? Also, can you install one Windows VM and check if the issue occurs on the Windows VM too?

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
robertsouthard
Contributor
Contributor

When the web console is unresponsive, I can have another user logon to V-Center and open a web console session to that same server and they get the same black screen, with a spinning disk...and also notice that the hostname is not in the upper left and the three buttons are not in the upper right (enfore US keyboard, fullscreen, send ctrl-alt-delete)

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Ahh Okay! Does it happen for a Windows VM as well?

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos