VMware Cloud Community
kzk1986
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

About to VMware license

Hello, everyone.

I have a question.
I am participating in a project to build a system.

We are using ESXi and vCenter there.
What will be the impact on the virtual machines when the paid license expires?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Spoiler

Hello.
VMware vSphere standard paid licenses never expire, what expires is the subscription and support contract that is sold with the license the first time and can be renewed.

If you are using a Demo license or signed up for a VMware vSphere evaluation, you have 60 days of usage, after this time if the VMs are turned off you will not be able to turn them back on and some features will be disabled.

In recent years VMware offers term licenses (one, two or three years) that in certain cases can be renewed. These licenses indicate an expiration date

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Like e_espinel wrote your license will never expire. It's your support subscription which will expire, but you will not face any message in vCenter about it. If you use cloud services like Skyline, you will no longer have access to it.

Keep in mind, that when your support subscription is expired, you will no longer have access to newer product version, so you are not able to upgrade your vSphere 6.x to vSphere 7.x keys for example.

Regards

Daniel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thread reported so moderators know it should be moved to the area for vSphere, since you're not asking an SDK question.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
kzk1986
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm sorry.
I'll move this questions.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Spoiler

Hello.
VMware vSphere standard paid licenses never expire, what expires is the subscription and support contract that is sold with the license the first time and can be renewed.

If you are using a Demo license or signed up for a VMware vSphere evaluation, you have 60 days of usage, after this time if the VMs are turned off you will not be able to turn them back on and some features will be disabled.

In recent years VMware offers term licenses (one, two or three years) that in certain cases can be renewed. These licenses indicate an expiration date

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Like e_espinel wrote your license will never expire. It's your support subscription which will expire, but you will not face any message in vCenter about it. If you use cloud services like Skyline, you will no longer have access to it.

Keep in mind, that when your support subscription is expired, you will no longer have access to newer product version, so you are not able to upgrade your vSphere 6.x to vSphere 7.x keys for example.

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos