VMware Cloud Community
AptitudeL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

About the vsphere standard licence

Hello,

I will buy soon a vpshere standard licence for my 3 ESXI which are in free licence mode at this moment. I just want to know if, with the standard licence, I can use 3 ESXI (1 CPU each) ? 

Best regards

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AptitudeL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So what you said is if I want to create a cluster with 3 ESXI, I have to buy 3 standard licence ?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vXav
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

One standard license = 1 CPU.

You might want to look at the essential / Essential Plus bundles

0 Kudos
AptitudeL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So what you said is if I want to create a cluster with 3 ESXI, I have to buy 3 standard licence ?

0 Kudos
vXav
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If your servers are mono-cpu yes. If they are dual CPU you'll need 6.You will also need a vCenter license if you want one.

I suggested the Essential bundles because they include 3 host / 6 CPUs + vCenter. It is a lot cheaper that way.

But then you have to check that the features included are enough for you.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/vsphere/vmw-flyr-vspherecomparekit...

0 Kudos
AptitudeL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok so with the essential plus, I can have a vcenter + 6 ESXI hosts with 1 CPu each?! (I have only 1CPU each hosts).

And if I want to add 1 more ESXI and use 7 or 8 ESXI.... Which type of licence is needed ?

0 Kudos
vXav
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can have a vCenter + 3 ESXi hosts with 1 or 2 CPU(s) each.

0 Kudos
AptitudeL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok. So the essential plus licence price (5989€ VAT) is for 3 hosts, but the standard edition price is 1500€ VAT for 1 ESXI, so if I want 3 ESXI, it is 3x1500€ (4500€ VAT), which is cheaper.

In this condition, regarding that I want to use only ESXI with 1 CPU, I don't understand why I need the essential plus ?

0 Kudos
vXav
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Like I said:

Essentials includes vCenter.

Standard doesn't.