VMware Cloud Community
Dr_Virt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

API incompatible with NVME VMs

We have standardized our VMs to use the NVME virtual controller for the attached virtual disks.

We have found that when using the vSphere API, querying the VMs using https://[vcenter host]/rest/vcenter/vm/[vm ID], the VMs fail to return valid data. The API call receives a 500 error and the error "Could not convert field 'disks' of structure 'com.vmware.vcenter.VM.info'".

If we configure a VM with a SCSI controller, it works fine.

The VMs run fine.

If we query a sub level it returns the correct data (…/hardware/disk).

Anyone else seen this incompatibility between the vSphere API and NVME virtual controllers?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RomanKn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same Issue here with NVME Disk.

Did you figure out a solution to the problem?

"default_message": "Could not convert field 'disks' of structure 'com.vmware.vcenter.VM.info'",

"id": "vapi.bindings.typeconverter.tovalue.struct.field.error"

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> We have standardized our VMs to use the NVME virtual controller for the attached virtual disks.
Respect - you are a brave man. When it comes to virtual hardware I think that NVME virtual controllers are still bleeding edge technology and I would not expect that everything works flawless already.

Ulli

0 Kudos
brip
Contributor
Contributor

Did anyone ever find a solution on this issue ?

I have just run into the exact same issue, using vSphere 6.7

The suggestion from the normal support channel was to use PowerShell instead to extract the information - but this is far from optimal in the scenario I have, where information is extracted directly into a system, where the data is being processed for invoicing purposes.

0 Kudos