VMware Cloud Community
TomKuenzel
Contributor
Contributor

APC Network Shutdown with vCenter 6.7 and APC Appliance or something else??

Hey guys,

I'm getting nuts on this topic... I try to find a solution for this but I'm stuck and need some input from community.

Following scenario:

2x ESXi Hosts 6.7

1x vCenter Appliance 6.7

1x APC Appliance for network shutdown

1x APC Smart UPS with Network Management Card --> latest firmware update running

I tried 2 scenarios:

1. Connecting the APC appliance to the vCenter Server, which leeds to error messages related to the login of the vsphere user. In this case I'm just testing with administrator@vsphere.local and a second user apcuser@vsphere.local

The error message says: Logon of administrator@vsphere.local@192.168.x.x not possible or Logon of apcuser@vsphere.local@192.168.x.x not possible

192.168.x.x stand for the APC appliance IP address.

It is as if the APC appliance is sending the logon credentials in a false format... Or what does that suppose to mean that the username is addes with a @192.168.x.x ?

2. I tried to run one APC appliance on each ESXi host and configured the appliances for ESXi host scenario. But in this case the ESXi server are shutdown but not the VMs running on it. Of course VM shutdown and startup is configured on each host...

I have contacted APS support for help but got not a response until now.

But maybe there is some other way to implement shutdown in this scenario?

I just want my hosts to shutdown all VMs and then shutdown the ESXi hosts...

Any ideas or recommendations on that?

Regards Tom

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dfosbenner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am by no means an authority on this topic.  I always used an individual vMA on each host with the PowerChute Bus Edition agent, connected to the UPS via serial cable.  However I just setup a new host, and this time I went with PCNS.  After researching all the options, I decided to install PCNS on a Windows PC instead of using an appliance.  It seemed to be a simple but effective solution for my small environment.

0 Kudos
nembus
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

Had run into problems with APC Appliance too.

Coincidentally I found the software OPMONis (https://opmonis.de/ ), which is easy to use and now is doing the job instead of the APC appliance.

Only downside is it is running on Windows. But I had a Windows VM running anyway.

0 Kudos