VMware Cloud Community
Sdqhome
Contributor
Contributor

AMD 7870 GPU Passthrough and Dell R610

Hi guys,

I am having a little problem with GPU passthrough on my Dell R610 running ESX 6.0U3 and AMD 7870 GPU.

I have 2 Xeon 5675 in my server and Intel Virtualization is enabled so all that should be covered. I can also see the device within PCI passthrough list and is capable of Passthrough just marked as "Disabled".

So I tick the GPU and enable passthrough, then ESXi tell me I must reboot the host and the GPU passthrough is enabled. I do as ESXi says and reboot the host, however, when it comes up it is "Disabled" again. I have been through this cycle about 5 times and am pulling my hair out. I also have an NVidia GTX1060 I can test this with.

Can someone please help before I give up?

Thank you,

Caleb

5 Replies
asajm
Expert
Expert

Hi Sdqhome

The ESXi version for specific to your server model?

If you think your queries have been answered
Marking this response as "Solution " or "Kudo"
ASAJM
Sdqhome
Contributor
Contributor

Hi asajm,

Thank you for your reply, yes that is correct, I am running a custom image for the Dell R610.

Thank you,

Caleb

0 Kudos
Sdqhome
Contributor
Contributor

Update: have disabled native embedded GPU on the server which is only possible when the server defects an installed GPU on PCI-e. However, when enabling passthrough and rebooting it goes back to disabled.

Thank you,

Caleb

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

That's an unsupported GPU to begin with, either passed through or otherwise, so your mileage may vary.

Sdqhome
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply,

I appreciate it is unsupported, I have also tried for a GTX1060 which appears to be successfully used but I am still getting the reset back to Disabled once the host is rebooted. Worth trying later ESXi version?

Thank you,

Caleb

0 Kudos