VMware Cloud Community
Solidbrass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

6.7U1 broken on Mac Pro 6,1 and other Macs

After the update to 6.7u1, Mac Pro 6,1 will throw an error during boot "Multiboot buffer is too small" and then halt.  I'd recommend steering clear for the time being since there is a Reddit thread on this for the Mac Mini too (which unlike Mac Pro 6,1 is not a supported platform).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solidbrass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, here is the kludgy work around which for some reason is posted in a comments thread on Github.  Get an EFI shell using a USB device, then you can get a single working boot.  Vmware guy says they've verified it and it will be fixed in a future release.  It sure would have been nice if the vSphere update manager had known not to do this upgrade since it is a known bug on a supported hardware platform...

"Multiboot buffer is too small." after upgrade to ESXi-6.7.0-20181002001-standard (Build 10302608) ·...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Solidbrass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Through additional experimentation I have determined that this is related to having PCIe devices attached via Thunderbolt.  On my test server for this cluster, connecting an Apple thunderbolt to ethernet adapter does not throw this error.  Attaching a thunderbolt to PCIe enclosure with an Intel X540 dual 10Gb NIC in it will throw this error.  This approach has worked on ESXi 6-6.7 until U1.

0 Kudos
Solidbrass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, here is the kludgy work around which for some reason is posted in a comments thread on Github.  Get an EFI shell using a USB device, then you can get a single working boot.  Vmware guy says they've verified it and it will be fixed in a future release.  It sure would have been nice if the vSphere update manager had known not to do this upgrade since it is a known bug on a supported hardware platform...

"Multiboot buffer is too small." after upgrade to ESXi-6.7.0-20181002001-standard (Build 10302608) ·...

0 Kudos