VMware Cloud Community
phantung83
Contributor
Contributor

6.7Cannot use physical KVM switch devices to display the screen when install vSphere 6.7 server

Dear VMware,

My windows servers was normally used with physical PS2/USB KMV switch devices. When I install VMware vSphere 6.7 on these servers, the monitor screen always show "Entering Power Safe Mode" and no see more. I change some other monitors or KVM cables or other KVM switches, it continues not to be shown the screen on the monitor.

But, if I diretectly connect the monitor to these servers, the screen is shown on the monitor normally

Could you tell me the solutions to solve it?

Thanks so much.

Phan Tung.

P/S: Some branches of devices that I used:

*Server:

- DELL PowerEdge T30

- HP Proliant DL380 G8

- HP Prolian DL60 G9

*KVM swith:

- Switch KVM D-Link PS2/USB 8 Port Combo (DKVM-440)

- Swith KVM Ugreen 30357

- Swithc KVM-21UA

*Monitor:

- DELL

- HP

- LG

- Lenovo

0 Kudos
8 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Let's see if I can help.

You are installing ESXi 6.7 in the HW, and when you try to use a KVM it's not working?

THe KVM is not OS oriented so, if there is a Hypervisor like ESXi, Windows Server or any other OS it doesn't matter.

Could you explain it again?

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
phantung83
Contributor
Contributor

Hi dbalcaraz,

I maybe not understand what you mean?

I install from "VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.7.0.update02-13006603.x86_64.iso", It's a free edition.

The KVM devices that I use normally for physical server with Windows server, CentOS, Ubuntu, ... but not with the source above.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

What I am saying is that a KVM switch must work because is not OS aware.

That means that whatever OS or Hypervisor are you using, it must work.
I never saw a KVM switch that works for certain OSes...

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
phantung83
Contributor
Contributor

Hi dbcalcaraz,

As I said above, my KVM devices/cables have been working independently with any OS(es).

When I installed VMware VMvisor (from the iso file above) to the server with the seperated monitor, keyboard and mouse, they worked normally.

After finishing installation, I connected this server to the KVM device. But, no signal was shown on monitor screen although I pressed any key or move mouse to kick the screen.

I changed other KVM devices/cables, they didn't work as usually.

These KVM devices/cables are still using for my servers (Windows, CentOS, Ubuntu, ...), and the screens of these servers are normally shown to the Monitor via KMV devices/cables.

What is happening?

How do I solve this trouble?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
phantung83
Contributor
Contributor

I SOLVED IT.

Thanks all.

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Hello,

I didn't saw your last reply.

So, if you solved it, what was the solution?

This is the way to help the community Smiley Happy

Thanks,

0 Kudos
khalidmt
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

My KVM SMK980, monitor is working but keybaord and mouse not working, could you please help me.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi.

Her case is very strange.

If you can, do the following tests:

1 In the server connected with its KVM Switch cables, start the installation with the VMware ISO image, if it shows you an image, it verifies that you can use the keyboard and mouse correctly, it only advances to where it allows you to choose the disk on which it is going to be installed VMware. don't continue (it's just a test). You turn off the computer and remove the ISO to see that the server starts normally from the VMware vSphere already installed and see in which time the image or keyboard and mouse control is lost.

2. If nothing was achieved in the previous step, repeat all the steps from point one but this time with ISO image version 6.0, it is only as a test, even do not install, just verify that you have video and mouse and keyboard control.

3. If you can update the KVM Switch firmware including the adapter cable firmware (KCO)

good luck

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos