VMware Cloud Community
Nitrous233
Contributor
Contributor

3.0 USB Device is not recognized on a Windows 7 VM Version 8

Hi all,

i have an ESXi Server version 6.0.

When i "attach" a WD external HD to the W7 VM (version 😎 i cant see the HD in the device list in "This PC".

When i attach the drive to a W7 Test VM version 11, i see it.

The USB and xHCI controllers are present in the VM version 8.

What could be the problem?

Thanks,

Alessandro

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nitrous233
Contributor
Contributor

UP

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

If you are using the Intel USB 3.0 controller, the hardware version should be 9.

Although the KB article is about Fusion/Workstation, the VMs are interoperable with ESXi so the same requirements applies.

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2128105

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22824/USB-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Control...

0 Kudos
Nitrous233
Contributor
Contributor

Hi bluefirestorm, thanks for your reply.

I'm using the xHCI controller, i did a screenshot, attached below.

xhci.JPG

I read on another site that, with this controller, i should able to connect a 3.0 USB Device, in this case an HD.

At the moment i can't upgrade the VM version, is there another option to connect this HD? Maybe forcing the HD in 2.0 mode.

Thanks,

Alessandro

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Windows 7 does not have built-in USB 3.0 device driver. That is why it is required to download and install the Intel USB 3.0 driver inside the Windows 7 VM; aside from the requirement of Hardware Compatibility version 9.

You could try connecting to the virtual USB 2.0 controller but I don't know how it can distinguish between the xHCI and the other USB Controller (presumably EHCI, aka USB 2.0) since both are present in the same VM configuration.

0 Kudos
Nitrous233
Contributor
Contributor

Hi bluefirestorm,

i tried to force the controller to USB 2.0 (I uninstalled the xHCI controller) and now i can see the HD in the VM.

Thanks for your support, have a nice day.

Alessandro

0 Kudos