VMware Cloud Community
Dormelchen2
Contributor
Contributor

2 questions regarding unmount datastore and "remove"

Hello,

i have a question regarding datastores.

We have Vsphere 6.7 - i have the option unmount datastore and delete datastore

So - unmount from a host - success - but i cannot see a difference in the datastorelist

The datstore is still visible and i dont see an information, that the datastore is disconnected.

Status of all datastores is unkown (is this a normal behaviour ?)

How to "remove" the datastore from an esxi host ? I dont want to delete the datastore.

thank you

0 Kudos
9 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

See here: Unmount Datastores

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Dormelchen2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello scott28tt

regarding:

After you unmount a VMFS datastore from all hosts, the datastore is marked as inactive. If you unmount an NFS or a virtual volumes datastore from all hosts, the datastore disappears from the inventory. You can mount the unmounted VMFS datastore. To mount the NFS or virtual volumes datastore that has been removed from the inventory, use the New Datastore wizard.

I cannot see that the datstore is marked as inactive

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

"unmount a VMFS datastore from all hosts, the datastore is marked as inactive"

You said you had only unmounted the datastore from a host, not from all of them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Dormelchen2
Contributor
Contributor

but why is the datastore not marked as inactive on this host ?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What are you actually trying to do?

Why do you not want that host to access that datastore any more?

0 Kudos
Dormelchen2
Contributor
Contributor

for example - adding a datastore to host xyz to copy / move some files / vms etc. - finish - dont need this datastore anymore on this host.

but ... it is not relevant...

- When i unmount a datastore from an host - i expect to see "inactive" or "disconnected" or whatever somewhere

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Why not just leave the datastore mounted?

And if you really don't want the host using a particular datastore, go onto your storage and "un-present" the LUN/share at that end (once you have un-mounted on the ESXi end to ensure the host isn't using)

Seems like a lot of admin to me though.

0 Kudos
Dormelchen2
Contributor
Contributor

This is not the answer...

When a datastore is unmounted from a host - why is this not shown in vsphere ?

That is the only question..

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've tried to understand and I've tried to help - I'm out, I'll leave this thread to someone else.

0 Kudos