VMware Cloud Community
tom0205
Contributor
Contributor

10Gbit network adapters missing after upgrading from 5.5 to 6.0 u2

Hi everyone,

I am trying to upgrade our hosts from 5.5 to 6.0 u2. Hardware is IBM x3650 M4. I found out that there is no usable custom image in this version anymore for IBM hardware, so I used the default VMware image for installation.

Installation was fine, but now I am missing the 10Gbit Emulex adapters.

Using the shell, I see this:

Ethernet controller Network controller: Emulex Corporation Emulex OneConnect OCe11100 NIC Class 0200: 19a2:0710

elxnet                         11.2.1149.0-1OEM.600.0.0.2768847       EMU       VMwareCertified   2018-03-23

emulex-esx-elxnetcli           10.2.309.6v-0.0.2494585                VMware    VMwareCertified   2018-03-22

Most likely it's a driver/firmware issue, but I am not able to find out the correct versions.

Can someone help? Or is there simply no supported version anymore?

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
5 Replies
aakalan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Tom,

Below link looks related.

10GB Nics Do Not Appear After ESXi 6.0 U1b Update (Emulex HP NC550SFP) | IT Blog

And also there is a troubleshooting article available, it will be very useful.

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
tom0205
Contributor
Contributor

Hi John,

thanks for your answer.

I checked both links already before posting. I found out how to update the driver, but I am unable to find which is the correct version I need.

When I search for 19a2:0710 in the VMware Compatibility Guide, I find a lot of results. Tested some, but none of them were working.

0 Kudos
aakalan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are those cards completely missing or is it about fcoe?

I saw some scnerios fcoe cards are missing after upgrade. After a discover command it should be come back.

esxcli fcoe nic discover -n vmnicX

0 Kudos
Narasimha_Pras1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you have an ESXI host running on a vendor customized image, it is recommended to upgrade the host to the latest available custom image from the vendor instead of using a VMware image. Check with your vendor for the latest available upgrade > roll back ESXI host to the previous image (restart the host and press shift+R when prompted) > upgrade the host using the vendor image.

Best Regards,
Narasimha Prasad
Skyline Support Moderator
0 Kudos
tom0205
Contributor
Contributor

@John Snow: the network cards are not even showing up, so in my opinion it is some kind of driver issue

@Narasimha_Prasad: according to IBM / Lenovo System x3650 M4 supported VMware ESXi image - Lenovo Community  there is no custome image, which I would also prefer than doing everything manually

0 Kudos