VMware Cloud Community
ssSFrankSss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

10Gbit Issue with network Card.

Hi,

I am using a 10Gbit network card installed in 3 servers in order to setup vSAN and vMotion, I am using two Ethernet ports for Teaming and Failover. I am using three servers. The issue is that on one server on one port it stops at 1Gbit. I have tried to change ports and cables but the issue remain the same. The system recognize it at 10000Mbps but it does not let me to change it. In 10Gbit switch it is the only one that appears as orange instead of green.

Please check attached images for reference, I am using vSphere 6.5 6.5

Thank you in advance,

Frank

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ssSFrankSss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@ I am not sure what the problem was. I changed network card from a working server, then changed the PCI slot also and it worked finally...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Finikiez
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello!

Please, check vmkernel log on the affected host and grep it with driver name (ixgbe).

Did you try to swap the card with working one in another host and check how it works?

How do you connect your card: using copper cable or optic cable?

0 Kudos
Tech0Addict
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Did you check the physical port on the switch ?

how it configured? as auto-negotiate or 10Gb ?

copper or optic ? and if so did you checked the compatibility of the cables (if its optic with DAC Cables )

0 Kudos
ssSFrankSss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am using copper CAT7. It is not the cable or the physical switch (8-port net gear pro safe) since I have changed both cables and ports still I get orange light in switch in whatever port I am connecting it.

I will be able to change the network card in 10 days from now... Do you think it might be an issue with the network card? I think when connecting the cable in switch I get 1 minute green light then becomes orange.

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can check the logs first. Needed messages are in vmkernel.log on affected host.

And they should come from ixgbe driver.

Can you attach vmkernel log here?

0 Kudos
ssSFrankSss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes it is not mentioned anything (for ixgbe driver I think) in both vmkernel.log from working or not working server. I am attaching both.

vmkernel.log -> The issue with 1000Mbbs from one of two Ethernet ports

vmkernel.log (1).log -> The working one

P.S.) You might see some issues since I have a server down because of motherboard failure 😕

0 Kudos
Mparayil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Frank,

Get the Output of the below commands

1)[root@esxi-01a:~] esxcfg-nics -l

2)[root@esxi-01a:~] vmkchdev -l | grep -i vmnic0

3)[root@esxi-01a:~]esxcli network nic get -n vmnicX

And please attach the vobd.log from non working host.

You can try the belwo command to see if you are able to change the SPeed to 10k form 1k

[root@esx-01a:~] vim-cmd hostsvc/net/pnic_setlinkspeed vmnicX --linkspeed-mb 10000 --linkspeed-duplex true

After changing the speed can check the changes are enforced

[root@esxi-01a:~] esxcfg-nics -l

ssSFrankSss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank for you time. Unfortunately I was not able to enforce it. First is the screenshot what I got from what you have written. And second attachment is the vobd.log

I hope you will understand something!

0 Kudos
Mparayil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From the Below vobd.logs I am seeing lot of logs from  Network Driver “Failed criteria: 128” if you have already verified the integrity of the Physical Network adapter Please update your Network Card driver I have detailed for VMNIC4 and VMNIC0

2017-11-15T06:01:09.189Z: [netCorrelator] 5097864010597us: [vob.net.vmnic.linkstate.down] vmnic vmnic0 linkstate down

2017-11-15T06:01:09.588Z: [netCorrelator] 5097864410548us: [vob.net.pg.uplink.transition.down] Uplink: vmnic3 is down. Affected portgroup: VM Net 2. 1 uplinks up. Failed criteria: 128

2017-11-15T06:01:09.589Z: [netCorrelator] 5097864410670us: [vob.net.vmnic.linkstate.down] vmnic vmnic3 linkstate down

2017-11-15T06:01:09.589Z: [netCorrelator] 5097864411089us: [vob.net.pg.uplink.transition.down] Uplink: vmnic2 is down. Affected portgroup: VM Net 2. 0 uplinks up. Failed criteria: 128

2017-11-15T06:01:09.589Z: [netCorrelator] 5097864411167us: [vob.net.vmnic.linkstate.down] vmnic vmnic2 linkstate down

2017-11-15T06:01:09.589Z: [netCorrelator] 5097864411255us: [vob.net.pg.uplink.transition.down] Uplink: vmnic1 is down. Affected portgroup: VM Network. 0 uplinks up. Failed criteria: 128

2017-11-15T06:01:09.589Z: [netCorrelator] 5097864411264us: [vob.net.pg.uplink.transition.down] Uplink: vmnic1 is down. Affected portgroup: Management Network. 0 uplinks up. Failed criteria: 128

Since you are not able to set any parameters on the VMINC which is handled by the Network adapter driver upgrading the driver may resolve the issue.

VMNIC-4

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESX60-INTEL-NIC-IXGBE-453&productId=491

pastedImage_0.png

VMNIC0

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESXI60-INTEL-IGB-533&productId=491

pastedImage_1.png

ssSFrankSss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have done today the update but no luck. Maybe it is the card itself. I will interchange it on Sunday hopefully with a working card from another server, and see if it remains the same. If the orange light follows the network card, then propably I will replace it.

0 Kudos
ssSFrankSss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@ I am not sure what the problem was. I changed network card from a working server, then changed the PCI slot also and it worked finally...

0 Kudos