VMware Cloud Community
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vsan

I have some warning. what is mean that . are there any big problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello ferexderta​,

"So you say that. If you upgrade ESXi . vsan will automatically upgrade. right?"

Yes.

"i have 2 clusters one cluster with vsan another cluster without vsan and one vcenter. Can I update when I have this alarm? now support to upgrade to esxi ?"

*Probably* fine as it would appear that removing/adding Disk-Groups is the only thing not possible with expired licensing - I would advise not attempting On-disk format upgrade though as this may fail and maybe worst case scenario leave you without Disk-Groups (as no license = no Disk-Group creation and I am not aware of what it may do here as I only work with licensed clusters).

"I didn't understand this warning. vsan have a license period. do I have to renew the license every year?"

No, normal vSAN licenses do not expire unless you are using an Evaluation license (or lab ones provided to vExpert/VMware employees) - please check your licensing whether this is the case or not (e.g. which license is currently applied to the cluster and complaining about being expired), via the Flash Web Client:

Cluster > Configure > Configuration > Licensing

This will inform what license is applied and the expiry - the 'Assign License' button in the top-right corner will inform as to which other licenses you have in inventory are available.

There is also a vCenter issue that can trigger expired vSAN alarm when vSAN is not in use (but that doesn't sound like the case here) which is resolved in vCenter Server 6.5 U1d (leaving this here for any that find this comment, are not using vSAN and are wondering about this):

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/51458

Bob

View solution in original post

8 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello ferexderta

License alarm:

Yes this is serious if you want to continue using vSAN you need appropriate licensing (which may depend based on what features you have/want to use - see the vSAN 6.6 licensing guide for more info).

Performance service:

Probably just disabled, enable if you want it.

StatsDB Object:

Probably just 'StatsDB Object exists' alert meaning Performance Service disabled.

Note that there are links to the relevant VMware kb articles from each of the health alerts:

Cluster > Monitor > vSAN > Health > drop-down details for the health tests > 'Ask VMware' button

Bob

0 Kudos
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What does not work in the system at the moment? What's affecting the system. I will also upgrade from vcenter 6.0 to 6.5. is it okay if i don't upgrade to vsan . so just vcenter and all esxi hosts 6.0 to 6.5 ?

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello ferexderta​,

"What does not work in the system at the moment?"

You would be the person best equipped to answer this question as it is your environment.

"What's affecting the system."

If you are using vSAN and wish to continue doing so then you should acquire and apply valid licenses.

Outcome of not doing so include: 'After the license or the evaluation period of a vSAN expires, you can continue to use the current configuration of vSAN resources. However, you cannot add capacity to a disk group or create disk groups.'

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.virtualsan.doc/GUID-20731F2A-B001-4...

"I will also upgrade from vcenter 6.0 to 6.5. is it okay if i don't upgrade to vsan . so just vcenter and all esxi hosts 6.0 to 6.5 ?"

vSAN version is tied to (and embedded in) ESXi version e.g. if you update an ESXi host to 6.5 it is also then vSAN 6.5, so no you cannot update ESXi but not vSAN.

Bob

ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So you say that. If you upgrade ESXi . vsan will automatically upgrade. right? i have 2 clusters one cluster with vsan another cluster without vsan and one vcenter. Can I update when I have this alarm? now support to upgrade to esxi ? I didn't understand this warning. vsan have a license period. do I have to renew the license every year?  if the license was entered incorrectly or the vcenter was misplaced.

0 Kudos
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

any another answer ?

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello ferexderta​,

"So you say that. If you upgrade ESXi . vsan will automatically upgrade. right?"

Yes.

"i have 2 clusters one cluster with vsan another cluster without vsan and one vcenter. Can I update when I have this alarm? now support to upgrade to esxi ?"

*Probably* fine as it would appear that removing/adding Disk-Groups is the only thing not possible with expired licensing - I would advise not attempting On-disk format upgrade though as this may fail and maybe worst case scenario leave you without Disk-Groups (as no license = no Disk-Group creation and I am not aware of what it may do here as I only work with licensed clusters).

"I didn't understand this warning. vsan have a license period. do I have to renew the license every year?"

No, normal vSAN licenses do not expire unless you are using an Evaluation license (or lab ones provided to vExpert/VMware employees) - please check your licensing whether this is the case or not (e.g. which license is currently applied to the cluster and complaining about being expired), via the Flash Web Client:

Cluster > Configure > Configuration > Licensing

This will inform what license is applied and the expiry - the 'Assign License' button in the top-right corner will inform as to which other licenses you have in inventory are available.

There is also a vCenter issue that can trigger expired vSAN alarm when vSAN is not in use (but that doesn't sound like the case here) which is resolved in vCenter Server 6.5 U1d (leaving this here for any that find this comment, are not using vSAN and are wondering about this):

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/51458

Bob

ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

what would you suggest to me right now. yes some licenses are trial but we have vSAN 6 Advanced  what should I do for this structure right now. we have 7 esxi host with cpu 2 Cores per CPU 10 cores 20. where is the mistake. cpu license number correct? If I delete the trial licenses, there will be a problem ? someone did not do anything wrong but did not understand what they had done.

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Ferexderta,

Your licenses (not expired) have not been assigned. You have 24 licenses that can be assigned to 6 of your hosts, but you still need 24 more licenses to cover the rest of the nodes. You will need to look into buying 24 more licenses to match the other 24.