VMware Cloud Community
rabihmansour86
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vsan supported switch

hi

i have new vsan cluster , as we know we need 10 Gb swicthes , i need to know if there is a requirment for throuput packet or otehr network requirment

2 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello rabihmansour86

Just in case you are using Hybrid configuration here - 10Gb network is only required for All-Flash.

We do not actually give official recommendations on what throughput will be sufficient as this is dependent on the utilisation (and potentially contention if other traffic is sharing the switch(es)) and other factors that result in more network traffic (e.g. RAID5 and/or Stretched clusters). The general advice is that if you think the Network will be the main bottleneck (e.g. All-NVMe using RAID6 Storage Policy) to use the best you can afford and preferably the deeper the buffers the better.

The listed requirements for maximum latency etc. and other considerations can be found here:

Networking Requirements for vSAN

Designing the vSAN Network

Bob

LeNNyfromNL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi rabihmansour86

It's a bit like most things in IT, "It depends". vSAN does not require a specific make / model of switch. Use whatever suits you fine in your environment, taking into account the latency and bandwidth requirements.

Most of the time 10Gb will be the default nowadays. I would advise to use non-blocking switches. Depending on you needs the port speed may also be 25Gb, 40GB or even higher speeds. If you go for the maximum possible vSAN speed in combination with LACP over 2 separate switches (For example using Arista MLAG) could be the way to go.

In the end it's up to you.

Daniël Zuthof
Twitter: @DanielZuthof
https://blog.zuthof.nl
Don't forget to mark as solved if your questions are answered.
0 Kudos