VMware Cloud Community
Mike_Gray
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vsan help

Hello team,

Is there any way to retrieve embedded license from witness appliance via cli or some other way ?  we missed to apply embedded license while adding to vc

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please take a look at Re: vSAN 6.6 witness appliance license missingto see whether this helps.

André

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Mike,

Do you get any usable information from this?:

# vim-cmd vimsvc/license --show

This should also display references to other licences available to the host, the details of which are readable e.g.:

# cat /usr/lib/vmware/licenses/site/license-esx-60-eval-201306

If this is a fresh install with no critical VMs on it, you could always redeploy the Witness as I suggested in the thread a.p. mentioned.

If there are critical workloads on it that can't be moved off, then make sure you do the correct checks and steps before redeploying the Witness.

Bob

0 Kudos
Mike_Gray
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the update , this is in production hence we cannot redeploy easily and license go to expire with in10 days and redeploy process will take more than this that's is the reason why a m looking for an alternative solution

0 Kudos
Mike_Gray
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can see  this file , is there any possibility to reload or reapply this ?

[root@localhost:/usr/lib/vmware/licenses/site] cat ./license-esx-60-e19-eoem-c1-201306

# VMware software license

StartFields = "Cpt, ProductID, LicenseVersion, LicenseType, LicenseEdition, Option, Epoch"

Cpt = "COPYRIGHT (c) VMware, Inc."

ProductID = "VMware ESX Server"

LicenseVersion = "6.0"

LicenseType = "Site"

Epoch = "2013-6-1"

LicenseEdition = "esx.vsanWitnessEmbeddedOem.cpuPackage"

Option = "7"

Data = "FileVersion=6.5.0.4;capacityType=cpuPackage;enable=vsmp:0,h264remote,esxHost,vimapi,contentlib,vstorage,dvs;addon=hotplug,vmotion;eoem=true;desc=VMware vSphere 6 for Virtual SAN Witness for Embedded OEMs"

DataHash = "f1ad3e0d-1244df2b-17166b6c-74088431-d469291b"

Hash = "6ec7be07-bcf172e6-ca79d066-c845a03d-bd8d9420"

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Mike,

"license go to expire with in10 days and redeploy process will take more than this"

Backing up your data and deploying a Witness takes more than 10 days o_0 (sure, Change Management can add 9.9 days I guess).

"I can see  this file , is there any possibility to reload or reapply this ?"

I had a look at these on my labs and nope they don't appear to contain Serial number data.

However, when I look at the files I see in the same directory, they all correlate to licenses I have available to use when using 'Assign License' in the Web Client (other than those that are expired).

Do you not otherwise have access to the Serial for the Witness?

Is it the ESXi license or vSAN license that is near expiring on it? If the latter then GSS have a hackery workaround as a temporary fix, if the former not so much.

Bob

0 Kudos
Mike_Gray
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it is showing esxi licence about to expire.  we have valid vsan n esxi enterprise licence .

gss couldn't help they simply suggested to redeploy the witness appliance.

Can we allocate 2 cpu esxi enterprise license to these appliances?  will it impact ?

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Mike,

ESXi licensing can't be worked-around AFAIK.

Yes, there should be no issue that I can see in applying a regular ESXi Enterprise license to this.

Bob

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

HI,

I don't find any cli option to get the License info

Refer  VMware Knowledge Base

Also check # Virtual SAN witness |VMware Communities

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos