VMware Cloud Community
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vsan 6.2 "fault tolerance method" not available

Hi,

I've installed 4 6,0u2 ESXi hosts, each one equipped with 3 flash devices and a VCVA 6.0U2

I've built the VSAN cluster without enabling dedup and compression.

But when I try to build a raid5 storage policy, I do not find the Failure Tolerance Method setting to enable the erasure coding with RAID5,

I found the Failure Tolerance Method setting only after have enabled dedup and compression.

Is this right ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Techie01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That is surprising . I have 60U2 based vsan cluster where I am able to see 'Fault tolerance method' both option raid-0 and raid 5/6 without enabling dedupe/compression.

Can you confirm you had all flash disk group when you tried this option

Can you logout/login back to the webclient and check if you are able to see ( there is a know issue documented where some of the policies wont be seen unless you logout/login back to the UI)

Was it fresh installed or upgraded. If upgraded, have you done the disk version upgrade. I believe the features wont be seen if disk upgrades are not done ( and enabling dedup/compression automatically does a disk upgrade)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Techie01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That is surprising . I have 60U2 based vsan cluster where I am able to see 'Fault tolerance method' both option raid-0 and raid 5/6 without enabling dedupe/compression.

Can you confirm you had all flash disk group when you tried this option

Can you logout/login back to the webclient and check if you are able to see ( there is a know issue documented where some of the policies wont be seen unless you logout/login back to the UI)

Was it fresh installed or upgraded. If upgraded, have you done the disk version upgrade. I believe the features wont be seen if disk upgrades are not done ( and enabling dedup/compression automatically does a disk upgrade)

0 Kudos
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Nope - it should be available immediately. I suspect it was just a refresh issue with the UI.

http://cormachogan.com
0 Kudos
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've done a new test and with logout/login back to the webclient and the policy appears.

0 Kudos
mlbaltz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found that this could also be due to not having a 6.2 license applied to the VSAN.

0 Kudos
ChrisKuhns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's actually a refresh of the VASA providers. Once those are seen the option become available.

0 Kudos
Vividly_Group
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have VCSA 6.5.0 build 4602587, the fault tolerance method not showing up too. I used VSAN standard lic. Anyone can help?

0 Kudos
multihawk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was having the same issue on VCSA 6.5.0 & VSAN 6.6 but fix from ChrisKuhnsabove worked for me.

In 6.5 Flex Client:

1. Hosts and Clusters view
  2. Click vCenter
  3. Click "Config" tab and then Storage Providers
  4. Select VSAN Provider is HOSTNAME and then click "Synchronize all Storage Providers...." button.
  5. Waited 15 seconds and then was able to create policy.
0 Kudos