VMware Cloud Community
b4ndit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vmkernel for vsan

Hi,

I have some question regarding Vsan

1. Can 1 vcenter have 2 vsan cluster ? Each vsan cluster will have its own cluster separate by cluster (in VMware vCenter).

2. For those VSAN cluster, they will use same physical uplink switch. How can I separate those cluster ? Is it okay same IP range with same multicast address ? or we should separate IP range and multicast address ?

I will use vSAN 6.2.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rscottadams
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, to comment further on your second question, if you have multiple VSAN clusters, best practice is to provide these over separate network segments (say, different VLANs). I'm not sure what you mean by "same multicast address"; each and every VSAN node performs multicasting, so all VSAN vmkernels are multicast addresses.

For more assistance with these kind of considerations, please consult the Virtual SAN 6.2 Networking Design Guide.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
zdickinson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Good morning, yes 1 vCenter can have multiple vSAN clusters.  Each cluster can have 1 vSAN datastore.

Not 100% I understand number 2.  It's OK to use the same physical switch for both clusters.  I believe you could have both cluster's vSAN network on the same subnet/vLAN, but I would separate them.

Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos
rscottadams
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, to comment further on your second question, if you have multiple VSAN clusters, best practice is to provide these over separate network segments (say, different VLANs). I'm not sure what you mean by "same multicast address"; each and every VSAN node performs multicasting, so all VSAN vmkernels are multicast addresses.

For more assistance with these kind of considerations, please consult the Virtual SAN 6.2 Networking Design Guide.

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh
Jump to solution

yes you can have two VSAN in the same network and just you needs to change the multicast addresses in another to make sure that other vsan hosts not participating. but understand the best practices and it's good to have different VAN for each vsan network.

how to change the multicast refer

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=20754...

b4ndit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks all.

I think is much safer with VLAN separation between vsan cluster.

0 Kudos