VMware Cloud Community
msamadzadegan
Contributor
Contributor

vm with multiple disk from multiple vSAN datastores

Hi everyone,

I have 2 vSAN hybrid cluster and 2 vSAN all-flash cluster. Is there any way to create vm that have different disks from hybrid and all-flash cluster?

From example, one my customer wants a vm with first disk from hybrid cluster for OS and the second disk for database data mount point. This example is really common and I want to know about solution of vSAN for these situation.

I check HCI-Mesh, and found out that every component of VM must reside on the local OR remote datastore.

I try to connect hybrid datastore to ssd cluster by iSCSI by it's seems that is not possible.

I use vSAN 7u1.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

With vSAN it is is not supported to split VMDKs from a single VM across multiple datastores. So what you are asking for is not possible today!

0 Kudos
msamadzadegan
Contributor
Contributor

Does VMware has a plan to support this feature?, and if yes, when will this happen?

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@msamadzadegan , I doubt that there is any plan to support this in a future release as this support statement is this way for a reason - it is not good design (whether on vSAN or any storage system) to have a VM split over multiple storage systems as this would mean any failure in one domain causes impact in the other, e.g. your cluster with the database vmdks might be fine but the VMs will still be down if the OS vmdks are inaccessible, same goes vice-versa.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Does VMware has a plan to support this feature?, and if yes, when will this happen?

Sorry, but we do not share roadmap details on a public forum. If you want to know about the roadmap for vSAN, please reach out to your (local) vmware representative. 

0 Kudos
msamadzadegan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @TheBobkin, Could you please suggest your solution for this situation?, When companies use storage array, they can add different type disk (NL-SAS, SAS or SSD) from a storage array to single VM and such request from customers is really common.

Currently I want to run 4 cluster of vSAN with about 40 server (2 SAS Cluster, each 10 server and 2 All-Flash cluster, each 10 server) but I can't figure out how I can do that. 

0 Kudos
msamadzadegan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @depping, My company wants to create public cloud an I suggest to use vmware's products. I suggest VIO for orchestration, NSX for networking, vSAN for Storage and etc, but I really can not find the answer to some questions. The VIO community seems completely shutdown and no one answers the questions, like this:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Integrated-OpenStack/Storage-Cluster-in-VIO/m-p/2293397#M15...

I asked this question about a month ago, and nothing !!!

sometimes I really become confused so need to ask some question

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I am not sure who is going to manage / configure the systems, but Openstack is not a simple solution. I think you need to ask yourself first what you want to achieve. If you just want some basic automation then PowerCLI is probably the way to go @msamadzadegan . I answered your question on the VIO forum, note I am not a VIO expert, but the question you asked doesn't have much to do with VIO, it is more basic understanding of vSphere.

0 Kudos
msamadzadegan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @depping, We have a team include members who are experts in the vsphere environment and we need fully automate environment to build a public cloud. In our test environment we supposed to use 60 servers and then if our tests are successful, we will use it in an environment with thousands of physical servers.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

If you ask me you need to think about what you are trying to achieve, and what you need in order to achieve this first. Why would you use VIO in the first place? What does VIO have that meets your requirements for the project? Is it purely the automation of the provisioning of hosts and vcenter server? there are other tools, easier, for that as well as mentioned.

When you are planning for an environment with 1000s of physical servers, get someone from VMware involved in the process to discuss these things with, don't count on a community forum to provide timely answers 🙂

0 Kudos