VMware Cloud Community
time4
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 6.0 vSAN space utilization error

Hello,

we are using vSphere version 6.0 and we have 2 hosts which were used to create a vSAN datastore. And there is a problem with a disk space utilization, 120% or 3542GB are used from 2951GB of space. 2993 GB of that data is marked as "other". Does anyone have any idea what is this?

Also, we have total of 8 VMs and their provisioned space is 1152 GB and it doesn't add up because there is 4.05 TB of provisioned space in the datastore capacity . Where is the rest? There is no other machines. Can 2993 GB of data marked as "other" be also a provisioned space, because if we add up 1152GB of VMs provisioned space with 2993GB of "other" data we get total of 4.05 TB.

Storage.jpg

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@time4 

Moderator: Moved to vSAN Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@time4, you are misinterpreting the '120% used' - please read the description of that Health test, it is basically informing you that if after '1 additional host failure' and if all data were to be repaired back to compliance (likely FTT=1 here if using default policy) then there would not be enough space to do so (e.g. >100% full), anyway this is moot point here as if a node was failed or otherwise unavailable then it wouldn't have anywhere to rebuild the data as it is a 2-node cluster.

Regarding your main query: 'Other' Objects are any data that are not associated with VMs that are currently registered in inventory, e.g. if you unregister a VM from inventory but don't delete it from the datastore then it is still consuming space and all of its Objects will show under 'Other'.
These can be identified via a RVC or more readily using a combination of RVC and objtool run on an ESXi host using the steps in this kb I wrote:
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/70726

0 Kudos