VMware Cloud Community
lwsamcn01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSan license

Hi, 

I  have experience on vCenter appliance and hypervisor. vSAN is new thing to me.

I would like to know what the license of vSAN coverage? My meaning, if I buy vSan, should I buy vsphere (vCenter server standard or enterprise)?

or VSAN already bundle vCenter server, Hypervisor?

brgds

Liu Wei

Labels (1)
  • h

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@lwsamcn01 , Which level (e.g. Standard/Enterprise/Enterprise+) of vCenter and ESXi you need should be determined by what other features you require (e.g. DRS) - vSAN level doesn't depend on these and should be chosen as well based on what features you want/require and these also don't have to match e.g. Standard vCenter + vSAN Enterprise.

This guide covers the vSAN side of features available in each version:

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsan/vmware-vsan-licensin...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Just a quick note that also Bundles like vSAN HCI or Horizion exists with brings ESXi or ESXi and vCenter together with vSAN.  So it may depends if you already have existing vSphere licenses or if you need the solution for a special purpose (VDI for example).

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

vSAN license does not include vCenter or the hypervisor. So you will need: vCenter, vSphere, vSAN. vSAN will include the Distributed Switch.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@lwsamcn01 , Which level (e.g. Standard/Enterprise/Enterprise+) of vCenter and ESXi you need should be determined by what other features you require (e.g. DRS) - vSAN level doesn't depend on these and should be chosen as well based on what features you want/require and these also don't have to match e.g. Standard vCenter + vSAN Enterprise.

This guide covers the vSAN side of features available in each version:

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsan/vmware-vsan-licensin...

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Just a quick note that also Bundles like vSAN HCI or Horizion exists with brings ESXi or ESXi and vCenter together with vSAN.  So it may depends if you already have existing vSphere licenses or if you need the solution for a special purpose (VDI for example).

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos