VMware Cloud Community
olicata
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSan design

Hi, i need raid 6 but the design for the IT is (pic). Node 1 (4host) and Node 2 (1host). Both is connected between switch L2.

Can i have Raid6?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You are going to need a vSAN license for every host in the vSAN cluster, regardless if they contribute to storage or not. So if host 5 IS part of the vSAN cluster, then you will need a license. If Host 5 is out of the vSAN cluster on a separate vSphere cluster, then only vSphere licenses are required for that host.

~Dave

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello olicata

Using RAID6 as the FTM (Fault Tolerance Method) requires a minimum of 6 nodes, so no this will not be possible here.

docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.0/com.vmware.vsphere.virtualsan.doc/GUID-AD408FA8-5898-4541-9F82-FE72E6CD6227.html

Additionally RAID6 requires All Flash nodes which require 10GB links but I see there are only 1Gb links connecting the nodes to the switches so this would further rule this out.

docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.virtualsan.doc/GUID-6D818555-8DE8-4F06-9498-66903FB9C775.html

Bob

0 Kudos
olicata
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you. can you tell me, if the host 5 is out of the vsan licence ?

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You are going to need a vSAN license for every host in the vSAN cluster, regardless if they contribute to storage or not. So if host 5 IS part of the vSAN cluster, then you will need a license. If Host 5 is out of the vSAN cluster on a separate vSphere cluster, then only vSphere licenses are required for that host.

~Dave

0 Kudos