VMware Cloud Community
GogoD
Contributor
Contributor

vSan - Failed to force provision the object

Hi everyone,

I am trying to test vSan. Here is my setup:

3 hosts and each host contains 2 diskgroups and each DG contains 1SSD of 1TB and 4 SATA drives of 3TB.

I can see the 65 TB available for that datastore but there is no way i can write things on this datastore; wether i create a folder or i create a VM.

Sometimes, i loose the storage providers but apparently there is a known bug and vmware should fix it before the end of the month. For information, here is the workaround:

Open the following URL in the Web Browser -  https://<Master Host IP>/mob/?moid=vsanSystem&method=fetchVsanSharedSecret&vmodl=1.

Authenticate it with root use.

Click "Invoke" to get the password string. Make note of it.

Now go to the following location in the ESXi host (Master) - /etc/vmware/ssl/.

WinSCP the vsanvp.pem file to vCenter server.

In the vSphere Web Client navigate to vCenter Server > Manage > Storage Providers

Click the icon to Register a Storage provider. Fill in the following information:

a. URL: https://<Master HostIP>:8080/version.xml

b. User name: VsanUser

c. Password : <paste the String that was noted in step 3>

d. Select "Use storage provider certificate"

e. Click "browse" to point to the vsanvp.pem file copied in Step 5

I did that and created VM Storage Policy.

Here is the error i get:

Failed to force provision the object.  The cluster has no capacity.

Failed to create object.

I checked the permission on the datastore folder on the esx, and it seems fine.

Thank you for your help,

10 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Couple of things:

First of all, upgrading vCenter from 5.5 to 5.5 Update 1 and then using VSAN is not supported unfortunately as far as I know. I would recommend installing a clean vCenter Server first. Secondly, in the UI can you check if the network is okay configured? (no partitions?)

0 Kudos
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Also make sure that VSAN has been able to claim your local disks.

Some controllers make disks appear as remote, even though they are local to the host.

More details can be found here - http://cormachogan.com/2014/03/13/vsan-part-19-common-vsan-configuration-gotchas/

http://cormachogan.com
0 Kudos
andreaspa
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

depping wrote:

Couple of things:

First of all, upgrading vCenter from 5.5 to 5.5 Update 1 and then using VSAN is not supported unfortunately as far as I know. I would recommend installing a clean vCenter Server first. Secondly, in the UI can you check if the network is okay configured? (no partitions?)

Interresting news, will there be a fix for this? We've just gone from several vCenters to one larger protected with Heartbeat, it would suck to have to redo all that work just to use VSAN in a couple of clusters. Having yet another vCenter server again kind of defeats this purpose. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

andreaspa wrote:

depping wrote:

Couple of things:

Interresting news, will there be a fix for this? We've just gone from several vCenters to one larger protected with Heartbeat, it would suck to have to redo all that work just to use VSAN in a couple of clusters. Having yet another vCenter server again kind of defeats this purpose. Smiley Sad

Yes this will be fixed, I do not know when though.

erockman
Contributor
Contributor

Any idea when this will be resolved? I keep looking at the KB digest week after week, but no fix. I am able to add the providers manually using the method above but when I hit the refresh button, it hangs for 10 minutes and the providers are gone. Can't create storage policies if the providers are not there.

0 Kudos
rom3010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi GogoD, I'm having trouble setting up manually a Storage Provider.

When you said to fill in the username and password at the "New Storage Provider" window, the user named "VsanUser" is a user you created locally at the ESXi host¿?

0 Kudos
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This should have been fixed in 5.5U1b. From the release notes:

Under certain conditions, Virtual SAN storage providers might not be created automatically after you enable Virtual SAN on a cluster
When you enable Virtual SAN on a cluster, Virtual SAN might fail to automatically configure and register storage providers for the hosts in the cluster, even after you perform a resynchronization operation.

vCenter 5.5 U1b, released in June 2014, resolves the issue.

Which version of vCenter and ESXi are you using?

HTH

Cormac

0 Kudos
crosdorff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have two 5 hosts clusters, all fully patched.

1 host is having troubles registering its vsan Storage provider. Manually trying to register it fails with all kind off errors.

We do have a support request about this problem. But no success so far.

0 Kudos
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

OK - would be good to pursue this via the SR to get to a resolution/root cause.

0 Kudos
rom3010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

The versions that I were running are the following:

C:\Users\administrator.ANAC>"C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\vpxd.exe" -v                                        

VMware VirtualCenter 5.5.0 build-2001466

~ # vmware -vl

VMware ESXi 5.5.0 build-2143827

VMware ESXi 5.5.0 Update 2

Something strange happened, since I updated to "update 2" last week, yesterday an additional reboot occurred on the vCenter host related to Windows updates. Since then, vCenter service was not starting anymore because of a version mismatch with the vCenter Database: "Database version id '552' is incompatible with this release of VirtualCenter". I run the vCenter installer again and so far so good the connection issue was solved, the vCenter service started again, and to my surprise if I now go to "Storage Providers" in vCenter > Manage the VSAN Provider is listed. Smiley Happy

Thanks to all!

0 Kudos