VMware Cloud Community
VMwareSorro
Contributor
Contributor

vSAN

Hi Team,

One of our customer is currently running a VMware vSAN cluster on 3x DL380 G10 servers with below details.

Now customer wants to add 2x new servers in existing vSAN cluster, but with slight differences which are mentioned below.

3x Previously Delivered Server

2x Newly working Server

Model: DL380 Gen10

Model: DL380 Gen10 Plus

Processor: 1x Intel Xeon-Gold 6138(2.0GHz/20-core/125W) Processor

Processor: 1x Intel Xeon-Gold 5318Y 2.1GHz 24-core 165W Processor

Memory: 320GB (10x 32GB Dual Rank x4 DDR4-2666 CAS-19-19-19)

Memory: 384GB (12x 32GB Dual Rank x4 DDR4-3200 CAS-22-22-22)

Raid Controller: HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 Controller

Raid Controller: Broadcom MegaRAID MR416i-a x16 Lanes 4GB Cache NVMe/SAS 12G Controller for HPE Gen10 Plus

Please confirm if we can add these 2x new servers in existing vSAN cluster?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is an area of the forums for vSAN.

I have reported your thread.

A moderator should now move it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@VMwareSorro, while it is supported to have vSAN clusters with nodes with different components, all relevant hardware components (Cache-tier SSD/NVMe, Capacity-tier HDD/SSD/NVMe and controller used for vSAN devices) need to be on the vSAN HCL - HPE MR416i-a controller is not on the vSAN HCL and also you have not specified what storage devices either of the server are using here.

In general with vSAN clusters, if you are adding new nodes then if possible use the same storage configuration on all of them or at least that they are relatively similar with regard to layout, sizes and performance spec, e.g. if you have an existing cluster with high-spec nodes with all NVMe and then add some nodes with lower-end SATA SSD configuration then these may lower the performance of the whole cluster.

Similarly, if you have existing nodes with 2x Disk-Groups per node contributing 10TB storage per node and then add nodes with single Disk-Group but 20TB of storage then this is really imbalanced as these are going to be doing twice the work with less cache resources to do so.

0 Kudos
VMwareSorro
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bobkin,

If ‘Broadcom MegaRAID MR216i-p x16 Lanes without Cache NVMe/SAS 12G Controller for HPE Gen10 Plus’ is certified for vSAN?

Also please confirm if we can add servers with different raid controllers in same cluster? i.e. 3x servers are running with a Raid Controller ‘HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 Controller’ and 2x Additional nodes will be running with ‘Broadcom MegaRAID MR216i-p x16 Lanes without Cache NVMe/SAS 12G Controller for HPE Gen10 Plus’

Regards,

VMware Sorro

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

At https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=vsanio you can check which devices are supported for any given vSAN version.

André

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@VMwareSorro, Yes those controllers are on the vSAN HCL for latest vSAN versions:

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=vsanio&productid=50937

If you have further devices you want to check, please just check these yourself using the link @a_p_ provided.

And yes it is supported to have a cluster with nodes having different controllers provided these are all on the vSAN HCL.

0 Kudos
VMwareSorro
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bobkin,

Thank you so much.

Regards,

VMware Sorro

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
VMwareSorro
Contributor
Contributor

Today i am restart my ESXI host but back dated  logs, events and task has been gone. Please any suggest it is recoverable or not. Please any KB Article.

Regards,

VMware Sorro

0 Kudos