vSAN1

View Only
  • 1.  vSAN over Layer 3 Network (vmKernel setup)

Posted Dec 13, 2015 09:41 PM

With the new support for vSAN over Layer 3 network does anyone have any experience or knowledge where there is documentation for this?

We are currently trying to set this up and am getting cluster errors as the nodes are unable to speak to each other.

I can see various blogs / information about stretched clusters but I am not trying to set up a stretched cluster. We have 4 nodes in our test bed in 4 different subnets.

I guess the bit we are specifically looking at currently is the vmkernel setup for the vSAN traffic. As you can only have one gateway per host (each vml takes the gw from vmk0 - correct me if I am wrong) then the vSAN ip is not responding to ping from the other hosts. I know we can set up static routes on a host from vSAN to another subnet but has a few challenges. If subnets increase the number of static routes per host increases. Also I am not sure that adding a static route would act in the same way as a gateway.

Any help appreciated.

• 2.  RE: vSAN over Layer 3 Network (vmKernel setup)

Posted Dec 13, 2015 11:11 PM

Good evening, I don't think you're going to find instructions for setting up a stretched cluster or more specifically a stretched cluster over layer 3.  The stretched cluster documentation I have seen is more a list of requirements, the setup wold be the same as a non-stretched cluster.

Although as I say that, this guide seems to be pretty in-depth.  https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsan/VMware-Virtual-SAN-6.1-Stretched-Cluster-Guide.pdf

Thank you, Zach.

• 3.  RE: vSAN over Layer 3 Network (vmKernel setup)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 14, 2015 06:00 AM

Are you routing the multicast?

The health check plugin is pretty handy in isolating if the multicast is working correctly. 

• 4.  RE: vSAN over Layer 3 Network (vmKernel setup)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 16, 2015 09:43 AM

Yes you should setup static routes to each of the networks, it will act the same way for VSAN as a default gateway would. Note that you would also need to route multicast traffic between the data hosts, so your network admins need to make sure that this is allowed.