VMware Cloud Community
virtualDD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSAN on View in one vCenter with Two Clusters - How to tell View to use different Policies?

Hi Guys,

I'm probably just missing something that hinders my understanding but I cannot figure it out right now..

We have one vCenter with a separate Composer for the View Environment. This vCenter has two Clusters, both cluster doing their own vSAN. One Cluster has 5 hosts and should have a FTT=2 for the VMs, etc. The other cluster has only 4 hosts so a policy of FTT=1 should be okay.

When we enable "Use vSAN" on the View Pool it automically generated View Policies, but it did not do so for each Pool but just in general for the view environment.

How do I configure it in a way that Pools running in cluster A use the Policy set A and Pools running in cluster B use the Policyset B?

I'm able to create new policies of course, but the linked-clone pools are deleted and regenerated after user logoff and the new VMs tend to use the polices created by view. So at the moment we cannot differentiate between the two clusters from a policy perspective and had to configure FTT=1 in the view policies.

Any ideas what I'm missing? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If I am understanding correctly, the policies View creted are FTT=1 but you want to use your own FTT=2 policy for one of the clusters. It sounds to me that your FTT=1 policy is the default for the cluster, so all VMs provisioned will use that policy. You can change the default policy globally by going to Datastores>vsanDatastore>Manage>Settings and edit the default policy by selectingn the one you want to use for VM provisioning. 

0 Kudos
virtualDD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello GreatWhiteTec,

Thank you for your reply. It took me some time to go to the cusomer's and try your approach. Unfortunately that is not the solution for my issue.

screen_from_datastore1.JPG

Above the screenshot from one of the vSAN Datastores which shows its Default Storage Policy.

screen_from_datastore2.JPG

Above the same setting for the second vSAN Datastore.

screen_vm_from_pool1.JPG

When we look at a VM object we can see it always uses the View auto created policies for "VM_HOME" and "OS_DISK_FLOATING". I can't figure out how to make it work with two sets of policies for these two vSAN Datastores.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello,

From looking into it further (I am no View expert) it looks like it is creating the default Storage Policies on a per-pool basis, so maybe you could split the current pool into two with one pool going to each vSAN cluster.

Then you would edit the automatic-View set of Storage Policies in use for the 5-node cluster VMs to FTT=2.

Then any VMs created or applied with these Storage Policies will be FTT=2.

This article explains these policies fairly well:

http://cormachogan.com/2016/04/06/horizon-view-7-vsan-revisited-policies/

Also this might interest you:

http://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsan/horizon-view-6-0-2-vs...

Any particular reason you want FTT=2 applied to these VMs?

Sure, it is possible with 5-node cluster but that doesn't mean it is necessary, unless of course you foresee losing 2 hosts/disk-groups at once a likely occurrence!

Bob

-o- If you found this comment useful please click the 'Helpful' button and/or select as 'Answer' if you consider it so, please ask follow-up questions if you have any -o-

0 Kudos
virtualDD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Bob,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. I read up on your links, they were quite interesting. However I did not find the solution to my problem by reading those..

You see the customer has a total of 9 Desktop Pools. Some of which are linked clones, some are dedicated and so on, so a lot of different Use-Cases needed to be addressed in this view implementation.

The reason the customer wants FTT=2 policy on some pools is because those are his most important desktop users and he wants to really make sure nothing happens to these users in case of a hardware failure. Because of those requirement we've built a second cluster called "Performance Cluster" which consists of 5 hosts running NVME flash technology for a all-flash vSAN.

The first vSAN Cluster uses a FusionIO for Cache Tier and some less expensive SSD drives for capacity and only consists of 4 hosts. So we have two completely different clusters and a total of 9 pools. The "View Auto Created" Policies are only one set. The post from cormac you linked shows the same thing actually. He created two pools (one linked clones, one instant clones) and both use the same set of "View Auto Created" policies when he examines the objects being created by view.

At the start of the article he described that when view (5.x) first interacted with vSAN most of the configuration had to be done using the CLI and was not accessible through the UI, so I think this is where I will focus my research next. There really isn't anything in the UI where you can differentiate the "view auto created" polices for different pools or clusters for that matter. Maybe there are some CLI commands that I haven't seen yet where you can do that configuration.

One thing to note: The customer is running vSphere 6.0 Update 2 and View 6.2.3

0 Kudos
kwerneburg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try creating the pool with provisioning disabled, then change the policy to the correct one, then enabling provisioning.

| @vmKen | VMware Technical Marketing |
0 Kudos