VMware Cloud Community
BiswarajPattan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSAN not showing all available disks when attempting to claim

Hi All,

I have setup my LAB environment in VMware workstation 16. where i have configured three ESXi nodes VMware esxi 6.7. I have installed vcsa6.7 appliance..

Node1- disk1 =40GB and disk 2= 10 GB

Node2 disk 1 =40 GB and disk2 =10 GB

Node3 disk1 =40 GB and disk2 =10 GB.

I am attempting to setup new vSAN cluster but noticed that the wizard not showing any disks. Please find the attached image for your reference. Requesting your solutions further troubleshooting.

Labels (1)
  • Hi

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@BiswarajPattan, Do the devices have partitions on them? If they do then they will not show as eligible for claim for use by vSAN.

This is easily checked via vSphere client: Host > Configure > Storage devices > Select device > Partition details.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
FirozeB_za
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Yaseen

Kindly attach the image you mentioned please. 

0 Kudos
BiswarajPattan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have attached the image for your reference

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@BiswarajPattan, Do the devices have partitions on them? If they do then they will not show as eligible for claim for use by vSAN.

This is easily checked via vSphere client: Host > Configure > Storage devices > Select device > Partition details.

BiswarajPattan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks for the solutions. I have deleted all the virtual HDD and trying to recreate the vSAN cluster again. Please find the attached screenshot for your reference. Now i am going to configure the  vSAN cluster using Quick start method. There are three sections

1. Cluster Basics --- Done

2.Add Nodes --- Done

3. Configure cluster-  Greyed out.

Please suggest........... How to configure.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Try the "manual" setup of a vSAN and not the quickstart wizzard.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@BiswarajPattan  what is that 1 red alert in the QS pre-requisites that we can see just the edge corner of in the screenshot?

This is a small cluster, I would advise just configuring this manually without QS as @IRIX201110141  advised.

0 Kudos
BiswarajPattan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your advise Bobkin. The Red alert is "Physical disk health retrieval issues"

Sure I will try manual process and let you know.

0 Kudos
BiswarajPattan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried to configure using manual process but options are greyed out. Its not allowing me to select the disk to claim.

vsan-5.jpg

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Remove existing partitions from that drives again or create new ones within your virutal environment.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@BiswarajPattan Is this a nested lab or real physical disks? If the former then possibly disk/disk-groups are unmounted due to PLOG OOM, seen it a few times when running nested ESXi with minimal memory allocated to the ESXi VMs.

0 Kudos
kinshukt1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please check if existing disks haven't been part of VSAN cluster before, if they have been then you need to erase and re-partition them. check the disks which shows partition detail with as vSAN Metadata erase those disks. Once done rescan the storage device against the cluster and reattempt configuring the VSAN.

0 Kudos