VMware Cloud Community
CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSAN : how to declare and configure the ESXi storages into this vSAN

Hello,

1 + I discuss with a Vmware Expert on DELL side.
2 + I discover the tool "vSAN WITNESS Appliance"
3 + I discover that it's possible to use, into the vSAN, the local storage of each ESXi (3 ESXi servers at minimum).

4 + Each ESXi storage must have 1 SSD or FLASH and 1 HDD (or more)

--

Next, I try to find the VMware documentation that explain, step-by-step, how to declare and configure the ESXi storages into this vSAN ?

After that, I will be able to enable the HA and a way to start automatically the VM if a ESXi is unavailable.

Regards,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

At the end, and without any SSD Drive on our servers, the vSAN can't be enable, and the vSAN Witness is not still necessary.

Maybe, in few months, we will bought these SSD Drives for ou servers, and we will able to enable the vSAN.
Or maybe, we will buy a SAN.

Then SSD Drives are mandatory for vSAN.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello CERKYR

docs.vmware.com have step by step outlines for configuring every aspect of vSAN clusters:

About vSAN Planning and Deployment

Creating a vSAN Cluster

Storagehub has more in-depth whitepapers and guides:

Plan and Design

Bob

CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

You write :

"Attending VMworld 2018 Europe? Come talk to my colleagues and I at the Expert Bar."

Do you mean the icon "vExpert" on the top of this page ?

Regards,

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello CERKYR​,

This refers to the VMware Experts Bar at VMworld Barcelona (e.g. VMware employees from different SMEs answering questions/talking to attendees).

I (Paul Twomey) and my colleague Kamil Zapert will be manning the vSAN area for the duration of the event.

Bob

CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Do you plan to provide a website (tchat) to discuss on VMware subjet though Internet ?
I can't travel to Barcelona.

Regards,

0 Kudos
CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

At the end, and without any SSD Drive on our servers, the vSAN can't be enable, and the vSAN Witness is not still necessary.

Maybe, in few months, we will bought these SSD Drives for ou servers, and we will able to enable the vSAN.
Or maybe, we will buy a SAN.

Then SSD Drives are mandatory for vSAN.

0 Kudos
CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I just restart this item.

After a discussion with DELL, it could be possible to enable the vSAN using only 2 ESXi servers, and of course, add 2 SSD drives, and considering that we already have the Vcenter and Vsphere Essential Plus licences.

I will investigate on this item with DELL to know what could be the price ...
Then, I will have to know if the existing DATASTOREs will be modified, and if it will be necessary to stop or move the existing VMs.
Regards,

0 Kudos
Darking
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi cerkyr

ive read the original subject. But i am a bit confused What you are trying to achive?

vsan comes in different types,

fx there is a two host version (VSAN Robo)

and a normal version that ranges from 3 to 32 hosts (although you will want 4 for better availability)

You allocate all storage disks on the hosts, and I do not believe it is supported to have other disks for normal data stores at the same time.

So. What are you wanting to do

0 Kudos
CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

The goal is :

to enable vSAN on 2 ESXi 6.5 servers,

adding 2 SSD (1 is spare) on each ESXi,

and allow the 2 DATASTOREs (SAS 15K) for the vSAN,

considering that we are already in production with 10 VMs (for more than 3 To)...

I think that before doing this change, I must be sure that :

1 + 2 ESXi are enough to run the vSAN.

2 + 2 SDD online , with 240 Gb per disk, are enough

3 + 1 licence vCenter Essential Plus is enough

4 + 1 licence vSphere Essential Plus is enough

5 + The change, from 2 different DataStores, to 1 vSAN doesn't need to stop any VM, or not ?

Regards,

0 Kudos
Darking
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Cekyr.

I suggest you read the two links TheBobKin already sent you. i also recommend watching this video VMware vSAN Data Storage Management Platform Technical Introduction| vSAN - YouTube

You will not be successful in setting up VSAN with your current setup.

1) You cannot setup VSAN on only 2 nodes, minimum requirement is 2 hosts and a witness host - here is an example of 2 node direct connect https://storagehub.vmware.com/t/vmware-vsan/vsan-6-6-proof-of-concept-guide/2-node-direct-connect/ Note the Witness Component.

It is not supported to run local datastores on the same hosts that run a VSAN datastore. So you will either have to wipe both your hosts, and restore the VMS into the vsandatastore or buy new servers.

There is no hostspare need/functionality in VSAN. so you do not need a disk for spare, it is a good idea to have a disk for replacement, but it should not be in the server like in a raid controller setup.

You need 1 SSD for cache. and a minimum of 1 disk for capacity (flash or HDD), and the storage need to be the same on both hosts.

its very important to follow the HCL for vsan VMware Compatibility Guide - vsan and in general i would advice you from building your own, and just go with a VSAN readynode configuration instead. Or buy something like a VXrail solution. http://vsanreadynode.vmware.com/RN/RN

Specific licensing for VSAN is required, the functionality does not work in standard ESXi, you can read more here

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsan/vmware-vsan-66-licen...

All in all my recommendation would be to talk with a vendor who can help you make a recommended configuration if you want to go the VSAN route.

CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Thanks a lot for these explanations.

--

Yes, the VM vSAN_Witness must be on a third ESXi...something easy.

But considering that the actual Datastores are already used to store too many huge VM, in production for the factory; I'm quiet frightened to modify the existing datastores to new vSan Datastores, without stopping any VM.
The risk is big.

--

In few weeks or months, maybe, we will have a NAS; connected to the vCenter; maybe, I will use it to move the existing VM..;and be able to go to the vSAN Datastores....

--

For the moment, I try to brake with my 2 foots on this project "vSAN" considering many things :

+ not enough budget.

+ not enough skill around me in the factory, for the next years, on VMware.

Again, I prefer a SAN (2 HDD boxs + 2 switchs + 3 network cards  + full FC + add a third ESXi).
The SAN is stronger thant the vSAN, and less complex.

Regards

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Darking​,

All good recommendations but just to clarify - it is supported to have local VMFS storage on vSAN-enabled hosts, it's only unsupported to have VMFS used for VM-storage on the same controller used for vSAN-storage. Note that it is also supported to have VMFS on vSAN-storage controller when used for low-IOPS uses such as logging/dumps/ISOs (other than on H730P controllers, these don't handle this well).

Bob

0 Kudos
Darking
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

TheBobkin​ Thank you for the clarification Smiley Happy

0 Kudos