VMware Cloud Community
help2help
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSAN host members are not in the same Network Partition Group!!

hello,

i have a cluster of 3 hosts, each one has 1 TB of capacity..

but I can see only 2 TB on the vSANDatastore..

I have noticed that when going to disk management on the vSAN configuration, two host are in a Group 1 (network partition group) and the 3rd is in a Group 2!!

is that normal?

thanks,

regards,

Noura

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Noura,

The symptoms that you are describing make me think that this can be a Network Multicast Issue.

The quick fix would be to disable igmp snooping on the switch, if this is possible.

You can confirm from the host that is isolated (Group 2) if the VSAN vmk interface sends/receives multicast running this command from the host

tcpdump-uw -i vmk2 -n -s0 -t -c 20 udp port 12345 or udp port 23451

It is expected to see Multicast activity from all the other VSAN hosts if working correctly.

Additional information regarding Multicast Requirements for VSAN can be found here:

Virtual SAN Troubleshooting: Multicast - VMware vSphere Blog

Hope this helps !

NF

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
zdickinson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Good morning, that is not normal.  They should all be in the same network partition.  My guess is that 2 of the nodes can ping the vSAN interfaces and that the third cannot.  Off the top of my head I would check the vLAN tagging.  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos
help2help
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hello,

thank yu for your response!

they are all in the same default vlan (no vlan for this VMKernel) and the three vSAN interfaces are pingable... by the vCenter!

regards,

Noura

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Noura,

The symptoms that you are describing make me think that this can be a Network Multicast Issue.

The quick fix would be to disable igmp snooping on the switch, if this is possible.

You can confirm from the host that is isolated (Group 2) if the VSAN vmk interface sends/receives multicast running this command from the host

tcpdump-uw -i vmk2 -n -s0 -t -c 20 udp port 12345 or udp port 23451

It is expected to see Multicast activity from all the other VSAN hosts if working correctly.

Additional information regarding Multicast Requirements for VSAN can be found here:

Virtual SAN Troubleshooting: Multicast - VMware vSphere Blog

Hope this helps !

NF

0 Kudos
atoerper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What was your fix for this. We are experiencing the same issue.

0 Kudos
help2help
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

for that issue the solution is to delete the vSAN's VMkernel and recreate them and check vSAN traffic is selected!

to prevent that you should look for your switch setting as Nelson said in his comment!

regards,

Noura

0 Kudos