VMware Cloud Community
JeremeyWise
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSAN - host disk no longer in disk group - Force removal

Four node cluster.  Trying to patch to work on fixing other issue with NFS share ...  but one issue I noted is that one of the hosts, shows disk in vSAN but though disk in vSAN.. they are no longer listed as in disk group... and show 0 bytes

But I can not get disk to remove from vSAN to create / add back.

JeremeyWise_0-1638290342965.png

I cannot create new "Disk Group" As it lists only disk for OS boot (SSD 74GB flash) and volume for later use (476GB Flash).

JeremeyWise_1-1638290448739.png

But host lists two disk still in vSAN.

JeremeyWise_2-1638290500014.png

This then stops this host from moving VMs from local vmfs volume to vSAN or visa versa.. so I can do maintenence or other admin tasks.

Question: How do I get vSAN to  either use those disk and put back into Disk Pool... or remove and re-add them.  

Nerd needing coffee
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@JeremeyWise I would advise checking are they mounted (and attempt to mount them if not) and vmkernel.log for any reasons they are not healthy (e.g. LSOM OOM which is common in homelabs and specifically in hosts with small amounts of memory).

If you can't figure it out or don't want to spend more time on it (and data is healthy/have backups) then just remove the vSAN partitions (which you can do via Disk Management UI or the Storage Devices tab in your 2nd screenshot) and recreate the Disk-Group.

0 Kudos