VMware Cloud Community
srodenburg
Expert
Expert

vSAN health check "Deduplication and Compression is disabled, but should be enabled" false alert

Hello,

A customer asked me to look at a vSAN Cluster they have. 6 node standard cluster with 6.7 U3 nodes and vCenter is already migrated to 7 U1d. Upgrading the ESXi Servers to v7 is not yet possible (for "reasons").

A couple of days ago, vSAN Health started complaining about all 6 hosts having "Deduplication and Compression is disabled, but should be enabled".

Dedup and compression ARE enabled (and has been long before vCenter got upgraded) and the "services" config on the cluster level says so too. So what is Skyline complaining about?? Do the ESXi Servers feel they themselves have it disabled while vCenter says it is enabled? is that the inconsistency?

Looking at logs, the error was tripped around the time the customer attached a host-profile to rectify two advanced settings (not vSAN related at all). The host-profile used only had those 2 settings in it. That is the only "change" made. Can't find anything else. But maybe it's just a coincidence.

I disconnected and re-connected all 6 vSAN Cluster members one-after-the-other to force a config-sync but no dice, Skyline keeps complaining.

There is no way I'm going to press the "remediate inconsistent configuration" button as it looks like it wants to undo de-dup & compress (de-dedup & decompress) instead of just fixing the issue. I've seen that happen and it was not pretty (took 2 days to undo, then another 2 days to enable dedup&compression again...)

Anything I can look at before opening a support case?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@srodenburg , the only way pressing that button would kick off a full rolling evacuation and reconfiguration of the Disk-Groups is if it was not enabled on the Disk-Groups - please validate this via esxcli vsan storage list.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@srodenburg , can you also check the per-host dedup configuration, should be set to '2' if enabled correctly:

# esxcfg-advcfg -g /VSAN/DedupScope

This is the parameter that essentially determines whether Disk-Groups added/recreated on a node get deduped or not.

0 Kudos
srodenburg
Expert
Expert

The problem "fixed itself" after vCenter was upgraded to v7 U2a and the ESXi Servers from v6.7 U3 to v7 U2a. After the last node was upgraded and the disk-format was upgraded + re-layouting was done, the error disappeared.

0 Kudos