VMware Cloud Community
hughneale
Contributor
Contributor

vSAN file service unknown obejct state

Hello,

I recently upgraded vSAN from v13 to v14 which went without issue. However, when I updated the vSAN objects. The vSAN file service started to fail and is now in a state where is trying to recover itself. However, it seems a number of the file service objects are missing. How can I recover them? The object health is reported as "--".

Thanks

H

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@hughneale, what do you see under Cluster > Monitor vSAN > Health/Skyline Health ?

If you have Data Objects inaccessible then I would advise you open a case with my colleagues in vSAN GS asap.

0 Kudos
hughneale
Contributor
Contributor

@TheBobkinplease see image attached. The vSAN file service is completely all over the place. It'll go green and then to red. Restart all the agents and then try again its been doing the same thing for hours. It was working fine before the update.

How do I contact vSAN GS?

Thanks

H

0 Kudos
paudieo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
hughneale
Contributor
Contributor

I've had some success.

I've been able to identify the DOM_OBJECTs that the vSAN File service seems to have lost their attachment to with the Unassociated objects as I luckily used different storage policies for the DOM_OBJECT.

$RVC vsan.obj_status_report -t vsphere/dc

Though using the there doesn't seem to be anything to identify what the object is other than the vfds object class. Even with successfully attached objects.  Is there a command to identify vSAN file service objects and their parent file share?

./objtool getAttr -u UUID --format JSON

How can I reassign these DOM_OBJECTS back to the vSAN file service to resolve this error?

tail -f /var/log/vmware/vsan-health vmware-vsan-health-service.log
No backing vSAN object for file share

I've been hunting around and cannot find a command or tool to recover the unassigned objects. Also where is the SSH password for the vSAN file service VMs? Might help debugging the issue in the future.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos