VMware Cloud Community
cRYSMAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSAN error

Good afternoon, tell me please setup in the Sun I use vmvare esxi 6 version. Turned in the Center. Created in the datacenter created a cluster. In the cluster I added the necessary hosts, I have a physical. car ESXI sumiry writes " pastedImage_0.png"

I'm trying to configure a stretched cluster...

pastedImage_1.png

and many more mistakes in the cluster

pastedImage_2.png

tell me how to properly configure vSAN

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cRYSMAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
18 Replies
hkg2581
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@cRYSMAS

Can you please run "esxcli vsan cluster get" and "esxcli vsan storage list | grep -i cmmds" on all the hosts and paste the output here indicating output for each host ?

Thanks, Hareesh K G Personal Blog : http://virtuallysensei.com
0 Kudos
mprazeres183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

cRYSMAS,

As the previous vmware employee already posted, if you run this commands directly from the ESXi Hosts, you will get the amount of Hosts connected to the vSAN Cluster, at the same time with the second command you will see a list of IP's who have a VMkernel on the same vSAN Service. So please do that and put the output here, anyway:

Please check, that on each Host the Service vSAN on the vmkerlen are activated, that you can ping from this specific vmkernel IP the other IPs on the other Hosts.

If that works, Check the Fault Domains & Stretched Cluster page, with your configuration so far, you could only use 1 Host failure to tolerate,s o make sure that this is done otherwise it will fail.

I will give you answere once you have uploaded the demanded and also checked on the two points I just redirected you.

Best regards,
Marco

Check my blog, and if my answere resolved the issue, please provide a feedback. Marco Frias - VMware is my World www.vmtn.blog
0 Kudos
cRYSMAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good afternoon, thank you for having responded to my message. The previous configuration I demolished - created anew clean. I will do a bit: There is a physical server on it. I deployed ESXI 6.0 - ip addres on 10.2.19.201 on it installed virtual ESXI 6.0 - only 4 pieces: ESXI2 - ip addres 10.2.19.202, ESXI3 - ip addres 10.2.19.20.3, ESXI4 - ip addres 10.2.19.204, ESXI5 - ip addres 10.2.19.205. Allocated them to 4 cores and 20GB of memory also allocated disks for ESXI itself and vsandatastore 30GB for ESXI, 2 for 100GB-HDD, 40GB-flash for each ESXI virtual machine. Also installed a virtual vCenter 6.0 version.
My vSAN configuration sequence:
1) I create a DataCenter in a virtual vCenter
2) I add the host in the DataCenter of the physical machine ESXI - 10.2.19.201
3) Create a cluster and add to it all virtual ESXI (4 pcs.)
4) I create an adapter on each host and enable vSAN traffic
5) I turn on the vSAN on the cluster.
After that, my cluster curses for mistakes - that indicated above in the post.
On your question I send screenshots

esxi5.jpgesxi.jpgesxi2.jpgesxi3.jpgesxi4.jpg

0 Kudos
cRYSMAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
cRYSMAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

pastedImage_0.png

I have a problem with pings. when I pinguyu from any ESXI ip addres 10.2.19.202-10.2.19.205 pings pass from any ESXI. When I ping 10.2.19.222-10.2.19.225 pings do not pass ... why? They use a common virtual switch. as shown in the screenshot

0 Kudos
mprazeres183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi again,
Where is your Witness server?

Please go ahead and do this first:

Step-by-step deployment of the VSAN witness appliance - CormacHogan.com

Please go ahead and do this, this will help!

Check my blog, and if my answere resolved the issue, please provide a feedback. Marco Frias - VMware is my World www.vmtn.blog
hkg2581
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Based on the screen shots you have posted , all the hosts are network partitioned and I think you have not created a DG on host-1. You first need to download download and deploy a Witness appliance running the same version and build as your physical hosts .

Next Configure stretched cluster by moving hosts 3 and 4 as secondary site and 1 and 2 as your preferred site .

Next time when you run "esxcli vsan cluster get" you should see 4+1 as total cluster members

0 Kudos
cRYSMAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello, I installed vSAN Witness - but hosts are still not available ... maybe a problem in the network settings. how do you think?

0 Kudos
cRYSMAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
cRYSMAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSAN Witness need to create the same discs as on the ESXI?

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello cRYSMAS,

Don't run the Witness VM in the vSAN cluster itself, also don't have the Witness Appliance (Blue Host in inventory) in the same vCenter-level cluster Object - just run the Witness VM on the host 10.2.19.201 where you appear to be running hosts 10.2.19.202-205 on.

Then make a new cluster Object under 'Datacenter' here (call it whatever) and place/move Witness Appliance in this.

So, basically all that is required for proper cluster formation is network connectivity between the nodes over a vSAN-enabled vmk interface and compatible host+Witness build versions.

The screenshots you have showed so far for cluster membership count and revision (all 1) indicate these hosts could never communicate over Unicast and/or Multicast (as all-Unicast is only from 6.6 onward).

Check your networking and that each node + Witness Appliance is configured with a vSAN-enabled vmk (#esxcli vsan network list) and is able to receive Unicast traffic over these interfaces to the other nodes (e.g. #vmkping -I vmk2 <IP of vmk2 on other node> ) and Multicast traffic between data-nodes (this can be less straight-forward).

Bob

cRYSMAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good afternoon, if I understood correctly, I need a virtual machine that I installed on the physical host ESXI - in vSAN Witness it is necessary to move TO it to Datacenter but not to add it to the cluster? Then turn it on. After that, add on the hosts of the ESXI who are in the cluster to add the adapter and include the traffic vSAN in it?Can I re-install the physical ESXI server?

0 Kudos
cRYSMAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tell me if I'm doing the installation correctly:
1) I install the ESXI server on a physical server, it will be under my ip 10.2.19.201

a) I make settings for virtual ESXI
2) I establish a minimum of 3 machines of the ESXI (ip ESXI2-10.2.19.202, ESXI3 - 10.2.19.203, ESXI4 - 10.2.19.204 and ESXI5 - 10.2.19.205)

a) I add a HDD storage (1 HDD 40 GB - for ESHI, 2 HDD for 40 GB - vsan claster Datastore and 1 HDD 30 GB - flash HDD)

3) I install vSAN Witness on the physical machine ESXI - 10.2.19.201
4) I install in the vCenter of the physical machine ESXI - 10.2.19.201
5) created the Data Center in the vCenter add the host - 10.2.19.201. Add hosts ESXI 10.2.19.202, 10.2.19.203, 10.2.19.104,10.2.19.205
6) In the configuration of ESXI2-ESXI5, the adapter kernel with the traffic in the SAN
When you turn on the vSAN, I get the errors that I showed above.

0 Kudos
hkg2581
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You need changes at step 5 and 6

>> move  "10.2.19.204 and 10.2.19.205 "outside the cluster and place it directly under Datacenter , leave ESXI 10.2.19.202, 10.2.19.203,  on the same cluster .

>> Now Enable vSAN Stretch cluster choosing either "10.2.19.204 or 10.2.19.205 "

>> You now would have configured stretch cluster .

>> Run "esxcli vsan cluster get" member count should come up as 3 , if not then you need to work on fixing vSAN communication over the vmkernel for vSAN between these three nodes

0 Kudos
cRYSMAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good afternoon, Happy New Year 2018! Prompt on Witness - installed on the server ESXI - 10.2.19.201 want to change the network settings - and I write the wrong password or login, reset 6 times the password any created and from 1 to 8 - all the same error on Witness. Before these I deleted the cluster deleted all other components such as in the vCenter and other virtual ESXI 2 - 3 - 4 10.2.19.202-203-204
I installed everything again. vCenter ESXI 2 3 4 - but now I have a problem with Witness I can not go and change the set. password settings, I enter the correct one

Please help me
Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
cRYSMAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good afternoon, I found what's the reason why my witness was put up with mistakes - in the vCenter it was not witness. I removed the version of the 6.0 version of the version 6.5 now I have:
ESXI - v6.5 ip-10.2.19.201
in the vCenter - v6.5 ip -10.2.19.211
ESXI2 - v6.5 ip-10.2.19.202
ESXI3 - v6.5 ip-10.2.19.203
ESXI4 - v6.5 ip-10.2.19.204
Witness - v6.0 ip-10.2.19.199

But there was one error: Checks if all the hosts in the vSAN cluster have the vSAN Health Service installed. Note that other vSAN health check will be performed only when all the host are upgraded to 6.0U2 release.

How will I update the witness?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello cRYSMAS​,

You can upgrade/update a Witness Appliance just as you would any ESXi host.

Via VUM:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1019545

Via ISO mounted in virtual CD/DVD or USB:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.0/com.vmware.vsphere.upgrade.doc/GUID-77D42D81-F47E-4FE9...

Bob

0 Kudos
cRYSMAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello, where to find an upgrade in vCenter version 6?

0 Kudos