VMware Cloud Community
esxi1979
Expert
Expert

vSAN cluster IP change

Hi,

I have 3 node vSAN cluster , with ESXi 6.7 , vCenter inside the same cluster & VSS was used.

This cluster is moved to a new dc

I changed the MANAGEMENT ip of the 3 ESXi

IPs of all VMK will change as data center subnet is different & also ESXi hostname will needs to be changed too

My plan is irrespective of the old vSwitch ( it has 2 VSS  )  , setup new IPs with 2 uplinks , 10G each & single VSS

Any suggestions how can i ensure to get the VSAN cluster up with VMs on it running fine

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
esxi1979
Expert
Expert

Here is what come to my mind should be action plan :

Create new vmotion VMK  vSwitch1

Create new vSAN vmk  vSwitch1

Create VM port group on the vSwitch1

Hopefully this will bring up  the vSAN

Once vSAN is up  , bring vCenter UP

From vCenter console , login & change vCenter IP from cli ? not sure how to do that, i have done from GUI

Bring the other vms & do same

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello esxi1979

Is it possible to move the vCenter somewhere else during this process? It would likely make many parts of it less hassle and cleaner.

So, before starting any of this take backups, ensure the cluster and all data is healthy, the pertinent areas of vSAN Health are green, all VMs are powered off and there is no resync, you could also consider placing all nodes in Maintenance Mode with 'No Action' option to ensure no possibility of any data getting changed/updated on only 2 of the 3 nodes which can essentially mean the data is FTT=0 (until it can sync the changed data to the 3rd node) - you can use a shutdown script to do this (VMware Knowledge Base  all the steps here but without the reboot).

Before changing the vSAN network, make as best possible validation that the network you are migrating to will work based on your configuration - common pain-points here are: (where applicable) MTU not supporting 9000 end-to-end (even though your network guy swore it did), badly configured or misconfigured LAGs, VLANs not existing or configured correctly (even though your network guy swore they did).

You should be planning to do the ESXi name changes as a seperate task as this requires removing and re-adding the hosts from vCenter inventory and the traditional way of doing this is to also pull it out of the backing vSAN cluster also (but you can actually workaround this with some workaround steps e.g. that it gets removed from vC and vSphere cluster but stays in the vSAN cluster):

VMware Knowledge Base

Hope this helps, give us folks in GSS a shout if needed.

Bob

0 Kudos
esxi1979
Expert
Expert

Thanks Bob for the response.  In my case , the ESXi & vCenter are already shutdown & shipped to my DC. To add more complexity, this cluster was setup by a vendor in their DC & then was shipped our DC & was down for long time. All we have is ESXi & vCenter passwd. Yes i have a vCenter here i can use.

So vLAN in last DCs & the NICs say 10G nics etc may not be present in my dc. They might have used X amt of 10G nic, but i am planning to use just 2 10G nic.

I seen many docs which talks about moving VMK to new vlan or VSAN move to new vCenter

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2151610

0 Kudos