VMware Cloud Community
jmoore071
Contributor
Contributor

vSAN VOlumes - Appear Read Only.

Hello All

Need some help here - All my vSAN pre-checks are validated however I cant pass the VM creation test. Also obrowsing the vSAN datastore I am unable to create a folder, it appears it is read-only. Any thoughts ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello jmoore071​,

Welcome to Communities and vSAN.

"All my vSAN pre-checks are validated however I cant pass the VM creation test."

Have you added Disk-Groups? Cluster > Manage > vSAN > Disk Management

Are they in CMMDS/VSI? Cluster > Monitor > vSAN > Health >

All nodes are out of Maintenance Mode? (note it is possible to be out of vSphere MM but in vSAN MM - validate via CLI with #esxcli vsan cluster get # cmmds-tool find -t NODE_DECOM_STATE)

What is the error message given for failure of Objects? If it is something like 'require 3 Fault Domains for component placement but found 0' then either cluster isn't formed, is partitioned, nodes are in MM or there is no usable space in some/all Fault Domains (nodes here).

Bob

0 Kudos
jmoore071
Contributor
Contributor

BobKin

Thanks for the reply, to answer your questions:

Health checks are all OK -

Disk groups are added, and the vSAN volume has capacity.

I have rebooted all hosts twice now so MM isn't an issue.  (found the KB on this one)

It appears just read only - very strange

thanks

JM

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

JM,

Rebooting a host won't take it out of MM (vSAN or vSphere MM), even if you do it twice Smiley Wink - please share the output of this run on any host in the cluster via SSH:

# cmmds-tool find -t NODE_DECOM_STATE

# esxcli vsan cluster get

# df -h

If for whatever reason you don't want to post the output here online (not that UUIDs are of much use to anyone nefarious anyway! but domain/DNS names maybe) you can PM me the output.

Screenshot/copy of the error message in Proactive VM creation test may help here also.

Bob

0 Kudos