VMware Cloud Community
lamont77
Contributor
Contributor

vSAN - Total provisioned space vs Effective space vs Storage Policy FTT

Hi. I'm having trouble effectively reporting on the real storage stats (as I see it) .

Obviously I could be completely misreading the logic behind the current stats but ill lay it out below and you can tell me what you think.

We have 55TB RAW vSAN capacity (2 node cluster with external witness). There is currently 43TB free and a reported effective capacity of 20TB against our active RAID-1 storage policy. That's great, and its easy to read and rationalise. The problem I'm having is relating to the overprovisioning on the VMs.

There are currently 79 VMS and they are all Thin Provisioned. Used space is currently 5TB (10TB effectively with our FTT=1). BUT ... there has been a total of 35TB provisioned across these 79VMs. To me, this means that if those 79 VMs were somehow, however unlikely, to fill up their disks, it would equate to 70TB and by that stage the vSAN would be FULL and then some. 

Is this right? If so, is there any reporting mechanism that takes into account total provisioned space against the effective free space in the cluster? Im being asked why I dont recommend them building more VMs and this is one of my reasons. I just want to be able to show them in a nice report, and I would find it very useful as an admin tool too!!

Thanks 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lamont77
Contributor
Contributor

Would love some thoughts on this if anyone has them ... 

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@lamont77 "If so, is there any reporting mechanism that takes into account total provisioned space against the effective free space in the cluster?"

Yes, this already exists and can be viewed via Cluster > Monitor > Capacity > Oversubscription

0 Kudos
lamont77
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have that stat in there anywhere.

lamont77_0-1655312362221.png

0 Kudos