VMware Cloud Community
MJMSRI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSAN Stretched Cluster Upgrade and Migration to new Hosts procedure

Hi All,

i have a project to upgrade and migrate vSAN to new Hosts. Current infrastructure is:

• 3 Sites, vSAN Stretched Cluster
  • Site 1 has ESXi 6.0 Host and virtual vSAN Witness appliance
  • Site 2 has 3 x ESXi vSAN 6.0 Hosts
  • Site 3 has 3 x ESXi vSAN 6.0 Hosts
  • 1 x Windows Based vCenter Server within vSAN Cluster on Site 2

The project is to upgrade to vSphere 6.7 so thats ESXi 6.7, vSAN 6.7 and VCSA 6.7 aswell as replace the 6 x vSAN Hosts due to age and migrate to VCSA from Windows. My plan is to do the below, do you believe this is the best approach?

1. Perform a vCenter Migration with the Migration Utility on VCSA ISO from windows to a new VCSA within the existing Cluster. So this will keep all the existing config like vSAN Configuration, vDS networking, etc.
  2. Install ESXi 6.7 on 6 x New hosts, align to VCG for vSAN, Firmware, etc
  3. Add Hosts to the existing vSAN Cluster
  4. Contribute 6 x New Hosts Storage to vSAN Cluster
  5. Enter old vSAN Host 1 from site 1 into maintenance mode and select "Full Data Migration", once complete remove host from cluster
  6. once above complete enter old vSAN Host 1 from site 2 into maintenance mode and select "Full Data Migration", once complete remove host from cluster
  7. Repeat the above for old vSAN Host 2 and 3 from each site, once complete remove host from cluster which will result in just the 6 new hosts within the Cluster

Thanks

Tags (2)
2 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Why wouldn't you simply build a new environment with a new vCenter Server and Storage vMotion the VMs to the new environment? Seems much easier to me, and less risky.

MJMSRI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks depping for the reply, so with this approach i would setup the new 6 hosts across the both sites and a new vCenter. Would i then add the new vCenter to the same SSO Domain vSphere.local so that ELM is in place to do the storage vMotion?

0 Kudos