VMware Cloud Community
Zifu_invzion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSAN Stretched Cluster 2 Sites Failure

Hi,

Recently I was involved in a vSAN Stretched Cluster 6.6 implementation. When I was checking failure scenarios with the customer a red light appears; What happens if two sites goes down? Can I power on virtual machines in the remaining site?

That was a great question! So I start searching official information about this and I found vSAN Stretched Cluster & 2 Node Guide. In this guide we can found a lot of information about vSAN Stretched Cluster deployment. In the page 133 I see this:

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-29 a la(s) 16.43.50.png

Because votes of components in 3 sites in vSAN Stretched Cluster, 2 failure sites results in a complete lost of services. All vmdk are inaccessible.

But I like testing things, so I test this scenario with a lot of configuration; PFTT=1, PFTT=1 and SFTT=1, Local Protection, etc and in each scenario after get down 1 of the production Sites and witness site (2 sites of 3) the result was the same, because de votes all vmdk were inaccessible and services of virtual machines goes down.

What do you think about this? I would like to hear your comments.

Best Regards!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
memmaker
Contributor
Contributor

if two site goes down as your picture, 2 vote from preferred site and 3 votes from witness. you lost 5 votes. only 4 votes left.

total 9 votes, you need minimum 5 votes to access VM.

0 Kudos
Zifu_invzion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I know about the votes, what I wanted to reflect when I did the article was to generate a conversation on this topic, which seems to them in general this situation, if they think it is something to improve or is how a solution should behave like vSAN.

Regards and thanks for answer!

Ismael Cifuentes R.

0 Kudos