VMware Cloud Community
mfleurisson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSAN Streched Cluster : Full site maintenance planned

Hello,

We have several vsan streched cluster (6.5u2 & 6.7u2) for which we plan a full site maintenance and I would have liked to have your opinion on the modus operandi that we plan to apply :

• check backups
  • check vsan health
  • confirmed that all VMs were compliant to our storage policy
  • eventually set the clom repair delay to a higher value
  • change the preferred site (fault domain) to the one that will remain UP
  • disable HA & change drs to manual or partially auto
  • vMotion all VMs to remaining site
  • place all hosts on the site that will shutdown in maintenance mode using "ensure accessibility"
  • shutdown hosts

Does that seem right ?

I especially have a doubt about the maintenance mode to use, ensure accessibility or no data migration ?

Thank you

Tags (1)
4 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Do you have any data that is FTT=0 or just with local protection (e.g. PFTT=0,SFTT=1)? If you do and these need to remain accessible during the maintenance then I would advise moving these first (change the site in the Storage Policy and reapply it).

Other than that, your plan looks fine - use Ensure Accessibility option, No Action is used more for activities such as physically moving a whole cluster or incoming power outage (and all the data should ideally be cold).

Bob

mfleurisson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Bob for your answer.

We do not have any data that is FTT=0 or just with local protection.

0 Kudos
bmrkmr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

we did not disable HA and DRS but instead created a host group "maint-hosts" and vm group "ALL VMs"

then activated a rule so that ALL VMs must not run on maint-hosts.

now let DRS do its job, and then it is much easier (faster) to bring the vsan "main-hosts" into maintenance mode with "ensure accessiblity"

when you make them exit maintenance mode again, do so quickly one after another, so that no re-placement of components would start (you raised the delay timer anyway...)

only disable or delete the "maint-rule" after you are sure there is no more data resync going on

my 0.02$

Regards,

Bernhard

abukowinski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

I described several potential options in this post: vSAN Stretched Cluster - full site maintenance

Regards,

A.Bukowinski

0 Kudos