VMware Cloud Community
MartinMadsen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSAN Small business design confusion.

Hi,

I'm setting up a small business with 2 serverrooms and one rack per serveroom. The rooms are close together and theres 10G fibre between them.

I would like to have two nodes in each serverroom for a total of 4 ESXi hosts.

We are looking at All-flash vSAN with dedub and compression. Around 8TB of data (before dedub and comp.) and around 40VMs.

VM's in room A should have the copy in room B and vice versa.

Problem is I need Fault domain to control this, but as far as I can tell from the documentation, the requirement is 3 rooms (fault domains) as a minimum?

Hope someone can help point me in the right direction with this setup.

Thanks in advance.

/Martin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zdickinson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Good morning, I believe you have it correct.  Here is Cormac writing about a 4 node cluster with fault domains:  VSAN 6.0 Part 8 - Fault Domains - CormacHogan.com  Thank you, Zach.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
zdickinson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Good morning, I believe you have it correct.  Here is Cormac writing about a 4 node cluster with fault domains:  VSAN 6.0 Part 8 - Fault Domains - CormacHogan.com  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos
MartinMadsen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thankyou for the answer.

Do you know if it is possible to control in what fault domains a particular VM will be located?

In Cormac's example I would like VMs from FD1 and FD2 to be replicated to FD3.

Can a policy be created to steer the VM's in this way?

How about the ROBO feature. Maybe I can create two ROBO enviroments and replicate between them.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

if you only have 2 rooms and 4 nodes you cannot create a stretched cluster. But even with ROBO you will need to host the witness somewhere.

0 Kudos