VMware Cloud Community
ChrisPope80
Contributor
Contributor

vSAN Quickstart will NOT load

I took over an environment from another VM admin that left the company, so I'm not 100% familiar with how he set everything up (what he did and didn't do and if he did it right or just made it work).  My problem is the 'vSAN health alarms are suppressed' error.  I've read this can be cleared up by skipping Quickstart on the vSAN.  However, when I click Quickstart under Configure>Configuration, nothing ever loads.  All I see is the blue circle spinning continuously.  I'd also note, because I feel this is related in some way, that Performance Service and vSAN iSCSI Target Service under Configure>vSAN>Services are both greyed out and say Loading...

Anyone ever experience this and have any insight for me?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@ChrisPope80 Can you confirm whether vSAN Health UI tabs are also functional or problematic?

Cluster > Monitor > vSAN > Health > click Retest (if the UI appears and with the various checks)

What specific build (e.g. the build number 17712750 not '6.7' etc.) of vCenter is in use and also what build of ESXi is installed on the hosts in this cluster?

If they are on a correct (e.g. not an older major revision of vCenter than the ESXi version) and relatively current build, then the next things to check is whether the vmware-vsan-health service (on which a lot of things rely) is running on the vCenter and without issues and that there are not some other issues with the vCenter (e.g. health service might be running but is butting against the vsphere-client/ui services and not populating the information).

0 Kudos
ChrisPope80
Contributor
Contributor

@TheBobkin 

Thanks for the reply!!!

vSAN Health has green checks across the board, so I'm good there.

As far as builds, vCenter is 17713310 and my host are 17499825.

I've checked the services in VAMI and vSAN health Service is running and shows Healthy.

I should also note that the site I'm on is a DoD site, so we have STIGs and other requirements that often times require stuff be turned off which can limit functionality of many things.  I've not had a chance to check the STIGs yet to see if some setting required in there is causing the issue.  I did notice that Online Health checks is disabled, could that be the culprit?  

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@ChrisPope80 , If Health checks are visible and current then that fairly rules out the 'vSAN tabs in general' side of possible issues.

Is the vSAN Performance service enabled and in use? e.g. are you seeing 'spinny-wheel' if you go to Cluster > Monitor > vSAN > Performance or are you referring to the UI pane where configuring/changing this is done?

Performance service requires TCP port 80 over the management vmk between the nodes and vSAN iSCSI requires port 3260 (with default settings) between iSCSI initiator and the nodes - might these be blocked?

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/52959

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Facing exact the same issue. Any solutions or workarounds yet?

0 Kudos
RBMcLean
Contributor
Contributor

Old thread, but...

I had the same issue and while troubleshooting a different issue it seemed to fix itself.  I was speaking with VMware about a vSAN issue and they noticed a certificate mismatch in the vCenter logs.  They instructed me to follow https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/80469 and run the --lscheck and the --trustfix command.  Then after a reboot the Quickstart was working.